BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered if anyone has done a mod to put a gas lift strut on the trunk lid. I have a '99 LT with the retractable reel. Do the newer bikes have this? There appears to be a good mount point on the bottom half of the trunk box but the upper half would be the problem area.

I searched the forum and didn't see anything related to this question. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
I think you may have a first there - perhaps a bit overkill but it would be nice since a lot of times I have a fairly heavy "Mag's Bag" on top of my trunk. Being able to control the heft with a gas spring when opening the case would be nice. As is, I've got to carefully let it extend on the "leash" stops so as not to overstress it.

If you decide to go ahead with the project document it here for everyone to see. Details and pictures are NICE.

Heck, you may even get included in the Ghetto Hall of Shame! :D

Just remember, in order to qualify:

1. It's got to be functional
2. It's got to be very inexpensive
3. It's got to look good and feel good, dahling
4. It's got to be easy to implement
5. It's got to look OEM, or darned close
6. It's got to be something that can be built with everyday hardware available at ACE or Home Depot

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was thinking Ron. I've forgot a couple of times and it's fallen forward. Luckily it falls on to the rear seat. First time it happened I thought I did some real damage. I wondered if the BMW engineers planned that?

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
av8trto said:
That's what I was thinking Ron. I've forgot a couple of times and it's fallen forward. Luckily it falls on to the rear seat. First time it happened I thought I did some real damage. I wondered if the BMW engineers planned that?
Absolutely. BMW engineers plan everything. ;)

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts