BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Grr...Today I noticed gas was leaking from the right side of the bike. It only leaks when the engine is on. This happened after sitting in traffic on a very hot day. I haven't undressed her yet, unfortunately I'm traveling for memorial day holiday and I can't work on her till next weekend.

Any one experience this before? Thoughts on what it could be? :(

Thanks
02 LT ~40k miles

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Fuel line from the gas tank. One of the male plastic fittings probably broke or cracked and is about to break. Fuel isn't leaking until its pressurized. Don't ride it anymore until you replace it with a metal one. BTW, BMW doesn't sell the plastic male ends any more.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
You can get yourself some 3rd party quick connects or get metal replacment fittings at the BMW dealer. If only one of them is leaking get two anyway.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
You may want to get 2 short pieces of tubing and 4 small hose clamps.

There are 2 fuel lines side by side. You can mark them in some way (paint), so that they

don't get crossed on reassembly.

Disconnects are very nice to have, but I don't see it as necessary.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I had my right boot sprayed with gas while riding. Not only did it stink but I wasn't looking forward to becoming an image of a Buddhist monk of the 70's. Found it to be the quick disconnects for the fuel line. There are 2. Contrary to what my dealer told me when I went to buy a QD, this is NOT uncommon and it is quite dangerous. As my dealer did not have the $100 replacements in stock, not an uncommon occurrence with my dealer, I decided to go to a plumbing supply store and purchased a 5/16 brass hose to hose connector for $1.68. Guess I'll need to crimp the gas line every time I remove the gas tank. Oh, I just crimped the gas line to R & R the connection. Incidentally, removing the original plastic QD is a bear. Be patient and careful. The plastic connections tend to "weld" to the rubber gas line over time.

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
By doing a seach of QD or quick dissconnect, you will find lots of suggestions on where to order based on quality or price. I picked up mine at www.smallparts.com. Remember to install them opposite (male/female) of each other for future connecting without error. A great tip that I picked up on here.

Jer

·
Registered
273 Posts
Caveno said:
Where can I get this part? Or is it something I can "fix" with some silicone seal?
From most auto parts stores a 5/16 barbed coupler and fuel injection type hose clamps. Remove the leaking QD and replace with the coupler. Pinch off the hose to the left side of the QD. Getting the QD out of the hose is a real pain.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi folks - Thanks all for your reply. I ended up getting barbed coupler from home depot for a few bucks and replaced the QD. I'm a bit disappointed with BMW for the cheap ones they put on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts