BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I came into the garage and noticed a sharp fuel smell then found a puddle under the bike. I have moved it onto the outdoor driveway with some absorption material. I haven't begun to remove the right hand side covers yet.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
929 Posts
Quickdisconnects failed? Fuel hose tore or ruptured...think easy thoughts first. Won't probably know until you pull the tupperware...just my guess. Hope it's an easy fix.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
most likely if your bike has the plastic QD's then one of them has broken. Pull the right covers off, turn the key and that should prime the system where you should notice the leak.

·
Registered
280 Posts
If it is not the quick disconnect connectors on the lower-right side (just in front of your right foot peg), then I'll bet it is a plugged charcoal cannister.

With a full tank, and after riding (building a vaccuum), does it give a "swoosh" sound like opening a can? You may need a cannisterectomy.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Did you maybe over-fill the bike at a station close to home and park it for the night? If so it may just be expansion of the fuel. Common problem in the spring when the ground is still cold. Was the puddle under the right side of the engine or near the rear bag?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The puddle was under the engine. Unsure what side.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally replaced the quick disconnects and added some fuel. It began leaking right away. There is a significant drip coming from the bottom of the fuel pump. Do I have a gasket issue?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
If you have had a recent fuel filter replacement they may not have gotten it tightend up right. Normally that gasket does not fail undisturbed. May tighten the big ring and stop it but most likely you will have to remove the fuel tank to fix it proper.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The fuel filter was replaced by the dealer during the last service. I called them and the bike is scheduled for next Thursday; it will be trailered in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts