BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gas gauge calibration? and inside the filter pic posted

:confused: When I was putting my gas tank back on following a filter change yesterday, I completely emptied the tank into an empty 5 gal can. I would guess that I had just under 5 gals. This was following a full fill up and 127 miles of riding. Now if this alledgedly bike holds 6.3 gallons, how am I getting 75-85 mpg? Not only that, but the guage on the dash shows under a half a tank while sitting on the center stand. Something is not right. Come to think of it, when I was riding it home following some high speed highway riding, it started to stall out when I was pulling into the gas station. It read over a 1/4 tank yet it took the full 6.3 gallons. I was unfamiliar with this bike so it had me wondering how big the tank really was??
So all that leading up to the questions: How big is the tank in reality and how can I go about getting an accurate reading?

Side note: I cut the gas filter open to see how dirty it was. I dont know how long this one has been on there. My guess is its been there since new and the bike has 22k. This picture is taken when dry of gas. It is not too dirty in my opinion and shows how nice it is made. A great quality filter!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Re: Gas gauge calibration? and inside the filter pic posted

14wntr said:
:confused: When I was putting my gas tank back on following a filter change yesterday, I completely emptied the tank into an empty 5 gal can. I would guess that I had just under 5 gals. This was following a full fill up and 127 miles of riding. Now if this alledgedly bike holds 6.3 gallons, how am I getting 75-85 mpg? Not only that, but the guage on the dash shows under a half a tank while sitting on the center stand. Something is not right. Come to think of it, when I was riding it home following some high speed highway riding, it started to stall out when I was pulling into the gas station. It read over a 1/4 tank yet it took the full 6.3 gallons. I was unfamiliar with this bike so it had me wondering how big the tank really was??
So all that leading up to the questions: How big is the tank in reality and how can I go about getting an accurate reading? Side note: I cut the gas filter open to see how dirty it was. I dont know how long this one has been on there. My guess is its been there since new and the bike has 22k. This picture is taken when dry of gas. It is not too dirty in my opinion and shows how nice it is made. A great quality filter!!
Try this procedure. Worked on ole Toad.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Another thought is that your fuel sending unit tube is bent from a collapsed tank. A canisterectomy may be in order.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Realized that we didn't answer the actual question you asked - "How big is the tank in reality and how can I go about getting an accurate reading."

6.3 gallons is correct. Once you had the tank empty, completely filling it from a known source would have told you the true capacity.

The more I think about your situation, the more questions I have since your symptoms are backwards from my bent sending tube experience. Mine stopped moving at about 3/4 tank full since it collapsed below the float while full (after an overfill) and it was held high the tank showing more fuel available than there really was.

You stated that the fuel gauge shows under 1/2 tank when on the center stand, does the fuel gauge show a full tank while the bike is on the side stand?
Has the low fuel light ever come on? There should be about a gallon remaining when it does.
What values are you getting from the computer?

I would say that you should expect a 250 mile range and would watch the trip odo to keep from running out of gas until you figure it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts