BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I smell gas fumes most of the time on my 2010 RT. It isn't real strong or over bearing but it is noticeable. I notice it more on a full tank than an empty one. I have noticed this since I got it and it isn't something that just cropped up.

I am assuming it is coming from the tank vent because I haven't found any leaks. Does this sound normal for an RT or do I need to investigate farther?

Regards,

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Normally they don't smell like gas..

On the other hand, My R1100RT had a puddle of fuel underneath it this morning...

Had to do an emergency tupperware removal and fuel tank drain... Then pulled the tank to find it leaking at the fuel level sensor o-ring...

I'm hoping all I need is a new o-ring and I'll be back ....

Alcohol in the fuel maybe ? I'll know when the new one comes in and the tank is apart..

Good Luck finding your issue... Normally they don't smell like gas...:wave

John

·
Registered
729 Posts
The tank is not vented to atmosphere it's directed to the evap canister. Check the canister for disconnected hoses, fill cap seal, etc.
No gas smell on my 09

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Something is leaking. There are a few places to look. But warranty is in effect. Are you able to ride it into the service department and hold the head of the service writer over the bike? Are you comfortable removing all the plastic? If plastic removal is in the cards, (sometimes one has to do the detective work for the dealer unfortunately) on the left side is the main works, gas in and out see the parts diagram on MAX parts fiche, the other place is the overflow valve goes to the carbon canister on the front right. Kind of secondary but a fuel opening. The right plastic is more trouble to remove. Get the two hinge screws for the glove box hinges when the upper little side panel is off. Finding a small fuel leak is hard because it evaporates quickly. But you can ride the bike with no plastic and look like crazy. good luck. On the other hand, there is the pressure side of the fuel system down to the injectors. This too needs to be checked for leaks, but in a way it is harder. On the left side under the tank is the pressure regulator/distributor. It has plenty of hoses. The DVD for the bike has good pictures. and a simple thing is the gas cap gasket.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Before we all get stuck on "you have a leak diagnosis", let's consider the obvious first.

When you fuel, how careful are you to make sure you don't splash any gas into the recess that has the hole in it for the overflow? Do you slightly overfill when you fillup - trying to get that last squirt in the tank? Is the filler door gasket in good condition?

I realize these are likely not the problem but they certainly can be the reason you smell gas.

Mine smells like gas from time to time. Usually, it's from my being careless when I fill up.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
The charcoal (EVAP) cannister is designed to capture and later burn off escaping fumes from the tank. If you overfill the tank the cannister can be overloaded and you will then smell fumes. If you only notice this immediately after filling the tank, I would suspect over-filling to be the issue. If this happens all the time, (1/2 tank as well as full) then you likely have leakage somewhere in either liquid form on the supply side or fumes from a disconnected hose on the EVAP system.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys,

I am very careful when fueling as I want to keep any gas off the paint. I fill to the bottom of the filler pipe and fill on the side stand. I have 5200 miles on the bike so I am about ready for the 6K service. I think I'll let them find it if there is a problem. As I said the smell is very minor and I haven't found any puddles. or drops. My thoughts were that maybe the o-ring on the cap needs to be replaced.

Regards,

·
Registered
737 Posts
I presume you deal with Iron Horse. They are my dealer as well. If that's correct, I would be pretty confident that John's guys in service can find the problem during the service. I would suggest a full tank of fuel would help them in diagnosing where the small is coming from, if that's where you smell it most. Call John up front and ask him if that's what he wants, explaining in as much detail as you can to what the issue is.

Be sure and follow up here and let us know what was found.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
cessna said:
I smell gas fumes most of the time on my 2010 RT. It isn't real strong or over bearing but it is noticeable. I notice it more on a full tank than an empty one. I have noticed this since I got it and it isn't something that just cropped up.

I am assuming it is coming from the tank vent because I haven't found any leaks. Does this sound normal for an RT or do I need to investigate farther?

Regards,
Are you sure it is the bike and not you? Gasex or Beano.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
steveaikens said:
Before we all get stuck on "you have a leak diagnosis", let's consider the obvious first.

When you fuel, how careful are you to make sure you don't splash any gas into the recess that has the hole in it for the overflow? Do you slightly overfill when you fillup - trying to get that last squirt in the tank? Is the filler door gasket in good condition?

I realize these are likely not the problem but they certainly can be the reason you smell gas.

Mine smells like gas from time to time. Usually, it's from my being careless when I fill up.
I wish I could put a vent hole in that orange restrictor thingy in the gas tank. The gas bubble's up too quickly when it contacts the bottom of that piece of plastic. It's a bad design. I've never had issues gassing up until this bike.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
steveaikens said:
I presume you deal with Iron Horse. They are my dealer as well.
You are correct! I don't have to travel as far as you do to get to them though!

I have been impressed with the dealership so far but haven't had any service done by them since the initial check-ups. I'll let you guys know what they find out.

Regards,

·
Registered
26 Posts
Funny I found this thread today. I filled my tank up Sunday night (cold) and drove a mile to my garage where it has since sat. Today (warm) the garage has a very faint gas smell. Yes I may have overfilled my tank as I have never smelled gas in the garage before this event.

Lesson learned.

Tom

·
Registered
2,710 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
beech said:
Ponch, many people drill the filler neck and get about 2 more liters of fuel. But, you need to be on the road. Going to your garage with a fuel tank this full will lead to overflow issues. Here is a how to do it on a K bike. A search will find other sequences.
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=28824&highlight=drill+filler+neck
It's not so much to get more fuel, but to have it so it doesn't puke out so quickly when filling it. As far as overflow issues, what if it's on the center stand? That's how I fill the tank at the gas station.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I had a similiar experience and discovered the filler cap was not engaged firmly. Make sure it clicks all the way closed.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
If you park on the center stand it should help. But really the temperature difference is important. Cool fuel, a full tank and a hot garage is trouble, expansion. The issue of flooding your carbon vapor trap is real and a pain in the butt. To be avoided. I am on the verge of removing mine and just routing to the ground.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Ponch said:
It's not so much to get more fuel, but to have it so it doesn't puke out so quickly when filling it. As far as overflow issues, what if it's on the center stand? That's how I fill the tank at the gas station.
I have the same issue with the vent on the filler neck. We have emission control nozzles to contend with here in sunny/smoggy California. You have to insert the nozzle into the neck a certain distance to get the emission control collar to allow any flow. When I leave the pump on auto-shutoff it clicks off at the slightest hint of bubbling back into the red filler gizmo. I then pull the nozzle out, manually retract the collar, and hold it back while barely trickling it in. I can get maybe a quarter gallon more until it's at the top of the neck.. I'm not all that sure it's worth it, considering the hassle.

At least with the emission control collar we don't have the pump barfing out before it shuts off.

I always fill with and park the full tank on the center stand. Sometimes if it gets warmer with the full tank I'll get some overflow onto the floor, so I generally try to fill late in the day and ride the next. (Now that I think of it, that sounds like another good excuse to ride - "Honey I'm going for a ride, if I don't the garage will smell like gasoline").

JayJay

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
My 06 1200RT had the same faint gas smell. Dealer found that it was a "cracked bulkhead" whatever that is. Extended warrenty covered it. No more problem.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts