BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did this on my last two LTs and just finished on my third.

This is one of the best MODs I have ever done and it is easy and simple.

The question is that all the documentation talk about removing some of the plastic and I have not had to do this even once.

I dremel out about 75% of the metal off the cylinder and put the pieces back together and it works like a champ.

Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
290 Posts
I wasn't aware of this mod. Has there been an issue with the key remaining in the gas cap, or is it just a preference thing?

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Knife said:
I wasn't aware of this mod. Has there been an issue with the key remaining in the gas cap, or is it just a preference thing?
The modification allows you to remove the cap without using the key, as long as you leave it unlocked. It still allows you to lock it anytime you want to. Much better for most of the time, in fact, I probably only locked mine a couple times in 100,000 miles.

I did 25-30 of these at one of the CCR's, and I always removed material from both parts so that neither was left with a small section, which could possibly be broken off. You CAN remove 75% from either the plastic OR the aluminum, but my preference was to remove roughly equal amounts from both, leaving a substantial section on each.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
dshealey said:
The modification allows you to remove the cap without using the key, as long as you leave it unlocked. It still allows you to lock it anytime you want to. Much better for most of the time, in fact, I probably only locked mine a couple times in 100,000 miles.

I did 25-30 of these at one of the CCR's, and I always removed material from both parts so that neither was left with a small section, which could possibly be broken off. You CAN remove 75% from either the plastic OR the aluminum, but my preference was to remove roughly equal amounts from both, leaving a substantial section on each.
Plus 1
I've done a dozen or so I have always done them the same as Dave.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Why go to all the trouble to take out the cylinder?

Put the key in, put it in the locked position, drill a small hole in the inner and outer plastic. insert a small screw to hold the two, take the key out... Bamm.. less than 2 min....

Note: the screw pictured is big for this, but its what I had laying around.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
here's a stupid question, this is what I do with no problems,remove the gas cap, lock it,and then reinstall it as usual, then you can open/close as you wish and still be able lock it as you wish

·
Registered
18 Posts
after I posted this I realized its a statement not a ???? d'oh..

·
Registered
876 Posts
I may be a bit slow on this one, but I don't understand the reason for the mod. My '05 fuel cap has 2 modes - locked then remove the key, unlocked and remove the key and use it in that mode, unlocked all the time. I never lock it but have locked it to make sure it works. It appears to have never been modified so I assume that's the standard configuration. Makes sense to me.

·
Registered
476 Posts
K100Dennis said:
I may be a bit slow on this one, but I don't understand the reason for the mod. My '05 fuel cap has 2 modes - locked then remove the key, unlocked and remove the key and use it in that mode, unlocked all the time. I never lock it but have locked it to make sure it works. It appears to have never been modified so I assume that's the standard configuration. Makes sense to me.
Ditto for me - can be "locked open" on my ride.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,919 Posts
K100Dennis said:
Then yours has been modified already by the PO. They come from the factory where when unlocked you cannot remove the key. You can only remove it when it is locked. That is why we mod everyone we find!!!

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
K100Dennis said:
In the standard factory mode (unless BMW changed it on later models) When locked, the cap just spins and you cannot remove it, nor can you tighten it properly. When unlocked, you can remove it and replace it, but the key has to be in it. Thus the mod, to allow it to be left unlocked, with the key out, and be able to properly tighten it and remove it. It can still be locked if you are leaving the bike in a place where you feel it is necessary. Did BMW change this on later models? I know that up to 2001 the mod was necessary if you wanted it unlocked, with the key out, and still able to remove it without the key, and tighten it properly when put back on.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
dshealey said:
... Did BMW change this on later models? I know that up to 2001 the mod was necessary if you wanted it unlocked, with the key out, and still able to remove it without the key, and tighten it properly when put back on.
My '09 LT operates this way - the same as the '05 did. That is, the mod is required in order to gain the convenience of not having to unlock the gas cap. John Z. "fixed" my '05's gas cap; I need to bring the '09 around to get the same thing done. :)

·
Registered
876 Posts
Then it must be possible to modify the fuel cap without any outward evidence, mine looks bog standard and the PO went through everything on the bike with me but never mentioned any mod to the cap. My Riderls Manual shows a photo of the cap removed with the key still in it on Page 42. Mine's an '05, lock it and the top spins free, unlock it and remove the key and it works like you would expect, I never lock it. Maybe the dealers do the mod, not likely.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can add that my '00, my first '09 and my second '09 all operated the same way.

Also when you look at the design of the mechanism you can see that the "locking pin" retracts when in the locked position and thus you get no "traction" when you try to put the cap on.

Also on all three of mine when in the unlocked position, the "locking pin" is out, the key will not come out, this the only way to put the cap back on effectively is to keep the key in the lock.

The ONLY problem with the MOD is that I often when in a rush, especially when on a IBA quest, will forget to turn off the bike. Then when I refill, the fuel gauge takes some time to slowly hit full. This is just but a minor annoyance. Not sure why it does that, but it does.

PS once I have done this MOD, I have never put the key back in the fuel cap.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I just did the mod on my 05.................. :D

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
is the gas cap a standard size? In other words, could you just stop at AutoZone and get a non-locking cap for $5, use that, and have the other as a spare if you're ever in South America or wherever people screw with your gas tank?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
petevandyke said:
is the gas cap a standard size? In other words, could you just stop at AutoZone and get a non-locking cap for $5, use that, and have the other as a spare if you're ever in South America or wherever people screw with your gas tank?

Why not just do the mod and you would have one that locks when you want it and is unlocked when you want it?

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
K100Dennis said:
Then it must be possible to modify the fuel cap without any outward evidence, mine looks bog standard and the PO went through everything on the bike with me but never mentioned any mod to the cap. My Riderls Manual shows a photo of the cap removed with the key still in it on Page 42. Mine's an '05, lock it and the top spins free, unlock it and remove the key and it works like you would expect, I never lock it. Maybe the dealers do the mod, not likely.
Evidently a previous owner did the mod. When it is done, there is no outward apperance change. You have to disassemble it to see the changes. If you can unlock it then remove the key, it has been modified.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts