BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back there was smeone who came up with a work around so you do not have to use your key to unlock the gas cap everytime. I tried searching here and hall of wisdom, but no go. Does anyone have this info or point me to where it is. I probably was not looking in the correct location on this site (murphy's law)

Thanks
Ian

·
Registered
205 Posts
Leave it Un-locked

ihbond said:
A while back there was smeone who came up with a work around so you do not have to use your key to unlock the gas cap everytime. I tried searching here and hall of wisdom, but no go. Does anyone have this info or point me to where it is. I probably was not looking in the correct location on this site (murphy's law)

Thanks
Ian
Hi Ian, Didn't know that there is a "procedure" for this. I just leave the cap un-locked and merely twist it on and off at each fill. I don't think it's ever been locked since new! Works for me.

Regards

·
IBR# 366
16,542 Posts
On the early LTs, you couldn't remove the key from the gas cap unless it was locked. Or maybe the gas cap would just spin but not tighten down properly, I forget which. The mod allows you to unlock the gas cap and remove the key, but still have the ratchet mechanism work. That means you can remove and install the gas cap without ever using the key. Mine has been this way for many years now.

·
Registered
180 Posts
birdman said:
Hi Ian, Didn't know that there is a "procedure" for this. I just leave the cap un-locked and merely twist it on and off at each fill. I don't think it's ever been locked since new! Works for me.

Regards
Same here. I have an 03 and after a couple of fillups I simply unlocked the cap and left it unlocked. It screws on tight, and comes off without the key.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
bmwrubbercow said:
Same here. I have an 03 and after a couple of fillups I simply unlocked the cap and left it unlocked. It screws on tight, and comes off without the key.
Don't think it screws on "tight", if it does yours is one in a million. Without the key, the top on all (except yours?) unmodified fuel caps will not tighten properly, and the top will just spin trying to get it off without a key unless it is just barely tightened when putting it on. Yours seems to be strange in comparison to the "norm"

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,902 Posts
David,

I think Tom's was already "modified" when he bought it. Previous owner did it.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
jzeiler said:
David,

I think Tom's was already "modified" when he bought it. Previous owner did it.
I was thinking that may have been the case.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I have an 02 and it has to use the key to unlock it. If not, it just spins.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Gas cap mod

Ian, I posted a two way gas cap mod back in 2001. Don't know what happened to it.
I will attempt to "paste" the post into this message.
Just noticed the pictures didn't show up. email me and I will send you the word doc with photos.
Jim Mc
HAVE IT BOTH WAYS GAS CAP MOD
(locking or non-locking)

Gas Cap Disassembly Instructions

Purpose of Modification:
This modification facilitates the removal of the key in both the unlocked position as well as in the locked position. Thus, you have a choice of requiring a key to open the gas cap when security in needed, or just opening the gas cap by turning it without the key for convenience on the road.

Tools: Small Flat Blade Screwdriver
Paperclip or other small device to depress cylinder locking pin
Moto-tool with engraving cutter or other cutting bit

Disassembly - by John Rehder

1. Remove gas cap from bike and lay it upside down on your workspace.

2. Look in the groove where the cover (part you twist with your hand when filling tank) and the rubber seal meet. You’ll see 4 small molded retaining ridges spaced equidistance around the cover. Use a small flat blade screwdriver to pry the ridges back and separate the cover (part you grip) from the threaded portion.

3. With the cover removed you will expose the keyed cylinder assembly. If the cylinder is locked (doesn’t fall out when you separate the two parts) simply pull it out, or use your key to unlock it and it will fall out.

4. KEEP YOUR KEY IN THE LOCK FOR THE REST OF THIS ACTIVITY.

5. The cylinder locks via white plastic locking pin located opposite the key end. Use your key to extend the locking pin if it isn’t already extended.

6. Looking at the cylinder housing you’ll see a long slot on one side and a small one on the other side. The small slot is the one of interest. While looking in the small slot turn the key 1/16 to 1/8 turn. You’ll see the retaining tab in the hole.

7. With the lock turned 1/16 to 1/8 turn press and hold the locking pin (plastic white thing sticking out). This will keep the cylinder from wanting to rotate back.

8. Take a paperclip (or suitable wire) and press the retaining tab while holding pressure on the white plastic locking pin.

9. Pull the lock cylinder, with key still inserted, from the white nylon cylinder housing.
GAS CAP MODIFICATION by Jim McCullin

The following modification of the white nylon cylinder housing allows the lock cylinder to rotate 180 degrees, facilitating removal of the key in both the unlocked position and the locked position. (The unlocked position is defined as the key position where the gas cap ring does NOT spin free so that the gas cap can be removed and installed. Locked position allows the cap ring to spin free preventing removal or proper installation. In an unmodified gas cap, key can only be removed in locked position.)

Take your Moto-Tool and grind away one of the two stops in the plastic cylinder housing. Must be the correct one. Study the photos below carefully.

Before modification:

Completed Modification:

Reassemble - do steps 9 through 1 above, snapping the rubber seal and cover together.

Voila!! You have a choice of leaving your gas cap unlocked when on the road, or locking it when leaving the bike unattended!!!

I completed this mod in less than 15 minutes, including the disassembly per John's instructions. It is that easy. It works wonderfully!!

Jim Mc

I want to thank John Rehder for his instructions on disassembling the gas cap or I would have never started this project.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts