BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My recently purchased 04LT has a slight flaw. The gas cap cover sits up about 1/4" on the side opposite the catch and does not touch the rubber stop. The previous owner said it came that way from the dealer but I have trouble believing BMW would ship that way! Could heat cause this warpage and could heat fix it?

Knobber
86 Shadow
98 Valky
04LT

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Mine does the same thing. You'll laugh when you hear this, but I too was wondering..."Hmm...If heat caused this, maybe heat would fix it???" Had the heat gun out and got ready to cut it on and heat the corner of the piece when, all of a sudden, I heard (not literally) a voice saying, "Hey stupid...this is the GAS cover!"

Wow...I could have blown the thing sky high! Probably would have qualified me for the 2007 Darwin Awards though!

Heat might fix it, but you better take it off the bike first!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Velcro

I got tired of the lid not closing right and the pin thingie breaking so I stuck a couple of little velcro button tabs on the underside and called it a day.

·
Registered
749 Posts
A while back someone said to squirt some WD40 down into the little latch thing. I did and mine works again. Give it a try!

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Knobber said:
My recently purchased 04LT has a slight flaw. The gas cap cover sits up about 1/4" on the side opposite the catch and does not touch the rubber stop. The previous owner said it came that way from the dealer but I have trouble believing BMW would ship that way! Could heat cause this warpage and could heat fix it?

Knobber
86 Shadow
98 Valky
04LT
There should be a catch and it is possible that you don't have it because it fuel door snaps in. I had the same issue and mine was pushed down and the door did not snap into it. If it snaps in properly then take the gas cover off and reform it with some heat or pressure..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts