BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of installing the Garmin motorcycle mounts on both bikes, the LT and the KLR 650. Thinking backwards, the motorcycle mounts have the cabling coming out which splits into four separate leads. One is obviously for power, the others for various connectivity to hardwire comm systems. I have NO intention of using the comm system wires for either bike as I would be using bluetooth to phone and Sena 20s. Can I snip those unused leads off the cable without causing other issues? There is no extra space for the unused leads, especially on KLR.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,556 Posts
I would say yes you can. Just make sure you don't end up with shorts between the wires you snip. My technique for preventing this is to snip at least 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the molded junction, then strip off the outer cover and stagger snip the internal wires so the ends cannot touch and then tape up or cover with some heat shrink. This is important as one of the cables is a USB port.

·
Registered
693 Posts
You can snip them, but on mine, I just folded them back and zip tied then up. No issues, and if I decide to use them in the future they're still there.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1 - 5 of 5 Posts