BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding my RT and my LT using my very old hand held Garmin GPS III Plus....I know Stone Age. My old GPS seamed to work well enough; I primarily used the trip computer mode and it met my needs. I now have access through a friend with electronics repair related business to a Garmin Street Pilot III, Quest, Quest 2, or a 26XX series GPS. I know that any of these will be a big improvement over my little GPS III Plus but which would be best? I am not so into the idea of toys that I would buy a new Zumo at $500.00

I tend to be a purest biker, I kind of like letting the road take me where it will. I always study the route maps for any trip prior to departure so the use of a GPS for me is more of a hand rail then a crutch. Bells and whistles are sometimes a plus but simplicity is also a virtue. I will most likely not hook any audio or blue tooth capability and I do not need so much map detail that the GPS tells me where every construction site portable toilet is and if they are clean or not. Updated maps would be a plus but ease of use is also a BIG value. Screen size is important but also is screen visibility in sunlight; one thing about my old GPS is that no matter how sunny it is I can read it.

Feedback from those of you who have had experience with these units would be great. Thanks, Steve :bmw:

·
Registered
616 Posts
SteveL said:
I have been riding my RT and my LT using my very old hand held Garmin GPS III Plus....I know Stone Age. My old GPS seamed to work well enough; I primarily used the trip computer mode and it met my needs. I now have access through a friend with electronics repair related business to a Garmin Street Pilot III, Quest, Quest 2, or a 26XX series GPS.
I just picked up a Garmin 2720 on Craig's List for $25. It was never registered, so I did that and found out it was eligible for a free map upgrade. I upgraded the software to latest version, upgraded the map, and made a mount. I had to buy the motorcycle holder and cable ($31 on Ebay) and the accessory plug from Beemer ($21 from MAX BMW plus $7 to ship). All total, $78 for a great unit. It's waterproof, too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts