BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can completely delete everything on my 64GB iPad, and restore all my music, apps, data, movies, TV shows, and iOS, the full 64GB in about 35 minutes, give or take.

I'm updating my 2 GB Garmin Nav IV. It has taken 2 hours. And I'm connected via a high speed USB etc. etc.

Garmin. Fire your engineers, and go hire some from Google, Apple or Samsung. Those guys know how to speedily transfer data. you don't.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Amen. When I tried to update the lifetime maps on my Nuvi, the update bombed because it was too big for the OEM memory capacity. Of course these are the same engineers and designers who came up with the Garmin smart phone WITHOUT a GPS chip. Think Apple would leave a music player off the iPhone?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Just think about all the revenue Garmin is missing out on because they no longer support devices that are only a few years old. I'd bet they left a few million on the table.

·
Cat Herder
1,486 Posts
I am having all kinds of issues with my Nav 4. The maps load but the routes don't show up or work. All of my GPS's have 2014.2 maps but the desktop map is older and won't update.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, after 2 hours of this update, struggling with Garmin BaseCamp to design a route, then upload it to my Nav IV, something bad has happened. My Nav IV crashes frequently now, so I have to remove the battery to restart it.

This was not a good move, and now I have to head over to the Zumo forum to find out how to fix this.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
tvguy said:
I am having all kinds of issues with my Nav 4. The maps load but the routes don't show up or work. All of my GPS's have 2014.2 maps but the desktop map is older and won't update.
I seem to have the opposite problem with my Streetpilot. It seems to loose power, and then it only shows the route, not the map, after it reboots.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I just went through similar problem yesterday with routes and found that it gets its knickers in a knot if you have more than 20 routes you are trying to download. Also I had to import the routes on the Nav IV from My Data. I had a Zumo 550 and am beginning to regret selling it on eBay, but I now know why they fetch so much money on eBay.
tvguy said:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I just bought the lifetime map update for my Zumo 220. I got it from Amazon for $58 and change. Of course like others I was informed the update would not fit on the unit OR the 2 GB micro SD card already in the unit. :confused: So I installed what Garmin called the "lower 49 states" and it fit. I later got an 8 GB card and re-installed the update and it recommended the full update to the card. Now here's what I don't like. It seems Garmin Express is the only way to update now. On both updates I selected to also install to my computer for use with Basecamp, Mapsource, etc. But the maps never show and in fact the update stalls at 73% most times. I can plug the Zumo into the computer and use the updated maps in Basecamp that way, but I'd like to have them on the PC too so I don't have to take the Garmin off the bike every time I want to plan a route.

·
Registered
616 Posts
blueknightga6 said:
I just bought the lifetime map update for my Zumo 220. I got it from Amazon for $58 and change. Of course like others I was informed the update would not fit on the unit OR the 2 GB micro SD card already in the unit. :confused: So I installed what Garmin called the "lower 49 states" and it fit. I later got an 8 GB card and re-installed the update and it recommended the full update to the card. Now here's what I don't like. It seems Garmin Express is the only way to update now. On both updates I selected to also install to my computer for use with Basecamp, Mapsource, etc. But the maps never show and in fact the update stalls at 73% most times. I can plug the Zumo into the computer and use the updated maps in Basecamp that way, but I'd like to have them on the PC too so I don't have to take the Garmin off the bike every time I want to plan a route.
http://www.2wheelgeek.com/BaseCampResources.aspx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts