BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm trying to adapt the existing Nav ii / iii (??) mount that is mounted on my new to me 2008 LT to the Montana Cradle. What is the pinout for the existing connector / cable? Is it fused? I really only need power as there are no spoken directions from the Montana.
TIA,
picard

·
Registered
176 Posts
The Montana can output spoken directions. To prove it, plug your earbuds into the 3mm connector on the back. Garmin sells a mount that includes a speaker, but I'd rather listen through earbuds.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, you're right... Now I need even more wire pinouts.
Anyone know what the pinput is of the NAV II/III connectors on the bike?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
If it is the standard 3 pin GPS connector #1 is ground, #2 is pulse signal from bike computer and #3 is 12VDC positive. A matching connector with pigtail leads & wire numbers is BMW PN 83 300 413 585. Many dealers have this connector at the front desk it is so popular. The power to this connector takes 60 seconds to go off after the ignition switch is turned off.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it is the standard 3 pin GPS connector #1 is ground, #2 is pulse signal from bike computer and #3 is 12VDC positive. A matching connector with pigtail leads & wire numbers is BMW PN 83 300 413 585. Many dealers have this connector at the front desk it is so popular. The power to this connector takes 60 seconds to go off after the ignition switch is turned off.
Yep that was my fallback. Or just cut the cable that's there and use the red and black. I found a source for Garmin wire colors saying the audio is typically brown and white.

Maybe I'll slaughter the harness that's in the bike and try to adapt to the harness on the Montana Rugged Mount.

I'll report back if I figure it out.

·
Premium Member
7,646 Posts
Yep that was my fallback. Or just cut the cable that's there and use the red and black. I found a source for Garmin wire colors saying the audio is typically brown and white.

Maybe I'll slaughter the harness that's in the bike and try to adapt to the harness on the Montana Rugged Mount.

I'll report back if I figure it out.
I would buy the right pigtail rather then butcher the stock harness as you may want to install a Nav V some day. Here are a couple pics I took when I replaced my old Nav III with a Nav V (of course they announced the Nav VI a few months later). The two pin connector is audio and the three pin is power, ground and pulse as was already mentioned.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,646 Posts
The forum still won't accept multiple photo uploads from my iPad, so here is the other view.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The forum still won't accept multiple photo uploads from my iPad, so here is the other view.
Sorry can't see any of the pics.

The harness pigtail on mine has a round 4-pin connector (presumably for the BMW cradle) and the 7-pin sliding connector on the other end. It plugs into the 2 and 3 pin connectors in the main wiring harness as you describe.
I think why not just cut it up as it's of no use any more??

·
Premium Member
7,646 Posts
Sorry can't see any of the pics.

The harness pigtail on mine has a round 4-pin connector (presumably for the BMW cradle) and the 7-pin sliding connector on the other end. It plugs into the 2 and 3 pin connectors in the main wiring harness as you describe.
I think why not just cut it up as it's of no use any more??
I thought you were cutting off the main harness connectors. Yes, no reason to keeps the old Nav end of the harness.

That is funny as I see the pictures OK.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts