BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Busy Year for updates. North America 2013.10 is out and downloading via the Garmin Lifetime Map Updater and transferring to my BMW NAV III.

Bill

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
WildBil said:
Busy Year for updates. North America 2013.10 is out and downloading via the Garmin Lifetime Map Updater and transferring to my BMW NAV III.

Bill
does Garmin charge for these updates? do you have to be original purchaser of GPS?

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
You can buy a device lifetime subscription. Last I looked they were about $100, or about $75 through Costco.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Through Garmin, lifetime update is currently $89, which enables you to up to 4 updates per year, for the life of the device. I think a one-time is $49.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
hallzee said:
Through Garmin, lifetime update is currently $89, which enables you to up to 4 updates per year, for the life of the device. I think a one-time is $49.
I think I've read that phrase "for the life of the device" is where they've hooked you and are misleading. If I understand correctly, they mean for the time period they provide support for the device. Seems once it's been replaced by newer model, then that's the end of it's life. I could be wrong. :confused:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
bikerj said:
I think I've read that phrase "for the life of the device" is where they've hooked you and are misleading. If I understand correctly, they mean for the time period they provide support for the device. Seems once it's been replaced by newer model, then that's the end of it's life. I could be wrong. :confused:
Jeff, I have nothing but good to say about Garmin. They have treated me very well. Over the years I have had them replace three of my units no charge. One was also waaaaay out of warranty. They also gave me a free map upgrade for that one. I have bought lifetime maps for two of my units a Nuvi 1450T for the cages and a Nuvi 550 waterproof for the bike. I also use a GPSMap 60 waterproof on other bikes. Could not be happier unless it was all free.
Robert

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
bikerj said:
My 2730 was discontinued years ago, but I still get updates.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I think any of the GPS devices that use the "NT" format an have enough memory are still getting lifetime updates if already purchased, even though some of them you can't purchase the updates any more. My 2820 and 2720 still gettting updates. Quest no.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've been lead to understand that "lifetime" and "forever" mean very different things in warranties. The only thing I ever saw with the word "forever" in the warranty was a set of $1600 kitchen knives.....go figure.

JD

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
The lifetime updates is good as long as the unit it was bought for is still working. It goes by the GPS serial number. If your GPS goes out & has to be replaced the Lifetime is up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts