BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems that if Garmin keep improving their product it won't work at all. It's still too cold to ride so I thought I'd update the maps on the gps and get it ready to go. I bought the lifetime map updates for the Zumo 665 and download the 2013 version. Maps didn't work. I re-downloaded the maps but had problems getting the GPS to work. Finally after reinstalling the Zumo software, all seems to working well. But ...... I cannot find a way to import the new maps from the Zumo to the PC. I used the new Garmin Express to download the maps (recommended by Garmin) but there seems to be no way to transfer / download to the pc. I have tried attaching the Zumo to basecamp but still no joy. Can anyone help??

·
Registered
616 Posts
TWheels said:
Seems that if Garmin keep improving their product it won't work at all. It's still too cold to ride so I thought I'd update the maps on the gps and get it ready to go. I bought the lifetime map updates for the Zumo 665 and download the 2013 version. Maps didn't work. I re-downloaded the maps but had problems getting the GPS to work. Finally after reinstalling the Zumo software, all seems to working well. But ...... I cannot find a way to import the new maps from the Zumo to the PC. I used the new Garmin Express to download the maps (recommended by Garmin) but there seems to be no way to transfer / download to the pc. I have tried attaching the Zumo to basecamp but still no joy. Can anyone help??
Garmin Express is semi-brain dead...it doesn't give you the option of loading to the PC.

Instead, use Map Updater:
http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe

My advice is to make sure you save the Map Updater exe in a safe place and continue to use it until, if ever, they fix GE.

Map Updater will give you an Options button that will allow you to select "Computer only" for the map download/install.

As you are probably aware, BC will get the maps from your Zumo if they are not installed on your computer. While that is a useful feature in a pinch - e.g. if you are using someone else's computer - the performance is not adequate for those of us who regularly use BC for route planning.

Holler if that doesn't solve your problem or if you need more details.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jim E. I have downloaded the software and will attempt the download. I was not able to use the maps loaded on the GPS via Base camp but assume it was because I had the older version of maps loaded on my PC and also on the GPS. I currently have both versions of software loaded on the GPS which seems a bit strange.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
On this same subject, I received the following from Garmin Support this morning:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. Garmin Express is designed to be the one-stop shop for updating maps, updating software, managing favorites, and much more. With the release of Garmin Express version 2.2.14, the ability to install mapping to the computer is available for users who require this feature. Installing the maps to the computer allows the use of the maps in other Garmin software such as MapInstall, MapSource, and BaseCamp. It is not necessary to permanently install the maps to the computer, when updating a GPS device, so most users will not use this feature.

To install the maps to the computer:

1. Open Garmin Express
  2. Click device
  3. Click advanced
  4. Select the version of the maps required
    • The Map Install Location allows the user to choose the folder where the maps will be permanently installed. Click browse to change the default location
  5. Click install
Proceed to the updates area of Garmin Express to see the progress of the installation. When the update is successful, the maps can be used in the other compatible Garmin software.

http://download.garmin.com/omt/express/B/GarminExpressInstaller.exe

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
Thanks. I had down loaded and used the old updater last time. This time I down loaded the new version of express and all the steps were there to load the maps on the computer as well. HooRaa!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts