BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Garmin that I want to wire direct to the bike. The lighter adapter drops the voltage to 5 volts. Can I just cut the wires & wire it to 12 volts ?. Nothing on the Garmin site says anything about this.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
Which one is it Dave? Most just run 12v, but if the plug drops it to 5v then you will have to hard wire that plug (or at least its guts).

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jzeiler said:
Which one is it Dave? Most just run 12v, but if the plug drops it to 5v then you will have to hard wire that plug (or at least its guts).
My Street Pilot 7200 7" screen quit working & I'm installing a Nuvi 50LM. I sent Garmin a email yesterday.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Dave,
Double check on the voltage input to the GPS, most of the newer ones only use 5volts. If you wire it to 12 that will be the last time you see the screen light up. :eek: :kaboom: :kaboom:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
You are right Dave there is not a lot of data on power at the Garmin web site. I think you are stuck with 5 volts. When I installed my XM radio (uses 6 volts) I soldered wires to the 12 volt cigar lighter unit, wrapped it in tape and just hard wired that and stuffed it all behind the map light.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the ends soldered on & put two layers of shrink tube on. I glued the cover back on & potted the wire end. I'll leave it in the vise all week because I,m not installing it until next weekend. I hope it works. I hate doing electorial work.

Attachments

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Garmin's reply to my email was that they are not intended to be wired direct & they can't help me with any more information.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
Figures. But you did a right fine job on that there Adaptor!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I bought hard wire adapters on amazon for my 50LM and XM radio that I picked up last year. I also bought a couple from edosupply on ebay for $15.50 each. They work great for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts