BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone figured out how to use Garmin Base Camp for there Garmin IV or perhaps V? My first impressions of it are not so good.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I've never been able to make sense of it.

At the last International Motorcycle Show in Long Beach there was a booth set up right next to Butler Maps that was announcing a new website that would make it easy to plan and route trips. Nothing seems to be out yet, but you can signup for their newsletter at...

www.ridingsocial.com

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ok its not as user friendly as GoogleMaps but give it a little time and you'll get used to it. There are lots of resources and tutorials out there. Google Zumo forums, join, and ask folks for help. Nothing specific to BMW or Navs. These are branded Zumo units.

Larry
2012 RT Midnight Blue

·
Registered
67 Posts
Good parts... It's free, and maps on your computer and the device can be exact match.
Bad part.... clunky, not intuitive.

You can buy microsoft streets and trips and export a gpx file. Import that into the GPS. I find streets and trips much easier to use and it automatically loads current construction information. You can uy it for about $30.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I use basecamp with my Zumo 350
I agree it's not the most user friendly piece of software but when you get used to it , you can plan any routes and transfer them easily to your nav unit.

You can also transfer tracks from your nav unit (mine keeps a record of where I've been) and save them on your computer or export them to Gill's map maker
http://geo.gillcouto.com/upload.cgi and convert them to google maps where you can view your ride on a nice map.

You can also export a gpx file of your planned route, upload it to Gill's map maker and see precisely what kind of road you'll travel on. Including street view

For some reason I find that the maps produced with Gill's map maker are nicer and more detailed than if I look at the same area directly from google maps...:confused:

·
Registered
563 Posts
I use basecamp with my Zumo 350
I agree it's not the most user friendly piece of software but when you get used to it , you can plan any routes and transfer them easily to your nav unit.

You can also transfer tracks from your nav unit (mine keeps a record of where I've been) and save them on your computer or export them to Gill's map maker
http://geo.gillcouto.com/upload.cgi and convert them to google maps where you can view your ride on a nice map.

You can also export a gpx file of your planned route, upload it to Gill's map maker and see precisely what kind of road you'll travel on. Including street view

For some reason I find that the maps produced with Gill's map maker are nicer and more detailed than if I look at the same area directly from google maps...:confused:
I agree...When I first started using Base Camp I didn't like it but, over time, and like anything else, it gets easier to use and understand the features and layout.

Gill's Map Maker looks like an interesting program for those that like to explore and plan routes! I've not tried it since I'm away from my Garmin Nuvi but, it would be nice to see the routes on actual road maps...I sent it to some of my m/c buddies and hopefully, I can get some feedback from them on what they think.....Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Has anyone figured out how to use Garmin Base Camp for there Garmin IV or perhaps V? My first impressions of it are not so good.
BaseCamp Tutorial by Don Norwood, BMW R1200GS rider. Dan Leffert and I worked with Don on researching some of the background "learnings" that are taught in the YouTube videos.

BaseCamp Tutorials

Dan Leffert and I taught a 1 hour class at the Motorcycle Tourer's Forum - Ohio Amish Country Flower Sniffin' & Founder's Feast in Berlin, Ohio last September.

The interest was so great that MTF members kept the class going for 4 hours.

As a competitive long distance motorcycle rallyist and rallymaster, I use BaseCamp, Google, Google Maps, Streets & Trips, and other geo location finder websites to find and research whatever I am looking for, get the Latitude and Longitude of said Point of Interest (POI), and ultimately make it a waypoint in BaseCamp.

Jim Puckett
Midland MI

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have had much more success with MapQuest

It is very similar to Google maps, with the same option to create and tweak routes.
The difference is, there is a send to GPS button!
Works flawlessly for me.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts

It is very similar to Google maps, with the same option to create and tweak routes.
Works flawlessly for me.
With base camp you just drag and drop the route to your GPS or to the cloud storage if you need to transfer it to another computer.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you have to have the GPS hooked up? When I try to use the map without the GPS hooked up the maps don't show small streets. Only major roads. I just tried Map quest and it does seem easier

·
Premium Member
416 Posts

Works flawlessly for me.
I think you're over-selling MapQuest. As far as I can tell you can only send the start and endpoint from MapQuest to a device; MapQuest export does not support multi-point ('tweaked') routes.

Further, the actual routing that will occur within the device depends on the compatibility between the MapQuest base map and the devices installed map. What you see in MapQuest may not be what you see on the device.

It would seem to me that the functionality offered by MapQuest is more readily accomplished by simply inputting the start and end points directly into the device. The device then can do more than MapQuest with the 'Insert Via" function.

Tom

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I was not a fan of Base Camp much either (I missed the old Garmin software, what was it called?) At any rate, I got used to Base Camp and I like it quite a bit now.

I too was limited to crappy maps when the Nav IV wasn't connected, but recently, I found a setting where I could install the 2014 map on both the Nav IV and in Base Camp, so that problem went away. I'll have to see how I did that, but I know it's doable. It's under "Maps" drop down somewhere (how's that for helpful?).

My biggest complaint aside from the crappy maps was, when creating a route, I couldn't figure out out to continue it if I clicked out of it somehow. I then discovered the wonders of "Insert". To continue a route, simple click the Insert button, or press I on your keyboard and hover your mouse over the last point of the route until it turns into a big, black circle. Then click and the route will pick up from the point.

"Move" is also a nice tool if you want to alter the route. Click the Move icon or press M on the keyboard, hover over a point, click and drag it to where you want it and Base Camp will recalculate.

It just takes some getting used to. I hated it when I first started using it.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I got used to Base Camp and I like it quite a bit now.
+1. I was very used to MapQuest and used to curse the day Garmin stopped supporting/updating it. I forced myself to get comfortable with Basecamp and now I love it. It's different, but superior. Plug away at it. Once you figure out its philosophy you'll be hooked.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I think you're over-selling MapQuest. As far as I can tell you can only send the start and endpoint from MapQuest to a device; MapQuest export does not support multi-point ('tweaked') routes.

Further, the actual routing that will occur within the device depends on the compatibility between the MapQuest base map and the devices installed map. What you see in MapQuest may not be what you see on the device.

It would seem to me that the functionality offered by MapQuest is more readily accomplished by simply inputting the start and end points directly into the device. The device then can do more than MapQuest with the 'Insert Via" function.

Tom
+1

Here's some details

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
BaseCamp Tutorial by Don Norwood, BMW R1200GS rider. Dan Leffert and I worked with Don on researching some of the background "learnings" that are taught in the YouTube videos.

BaseCamp Tutorials
Jim, you've earned the coveted "Hallzee's Best Post of the Day" Award! :D

Anyone that wants to learn Basecamp, just follow the link above to the tutorials.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
As other have stated - BC takes a while to get the hang of it but once you do you'll love it. I finally got to where I could make use BC then switched from a PC to a Mac and had to relearn a few things. The tutorials mentioned plus others will have you up and running with BC in no time.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Do you have to have the GPS hooked up? When I try to use the map without the GPS hooked up the maps don't show small streets. Only major roads. I just tried Map quest and it does seem easier
If you don't have the maps install on the computer then yes you will need to have the GPS hooked up to the computer. You can make your selection from which maps to use under the "maps" section of the menu bar (it used to be a pull down menu choice).

It appears that Garmin Express now really does let you install updated maps to the computer also. I updated my maps on my Zumo last week and was using a new computer purchased since my last update and had to install Garmin Express again. This time GE actually installed to the computer like I requested.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
There is an option in Garmin Express to install maps on your computer.
You can install the map either on your device, your computer or both.
Your device must be connected to verify if you have the rights to download the maps.
Once the map is installed on your computer BC will use it and you won't need to have your device connected to work unless you want to transfer routes to it. Otherwise you're stuck with the generic map which is useless.

If you cannot see all the streets, you have to go into: Activity profile/ General/map display features/select and make sure that "lines" is selected.
Also make sure that the detail map level is set high enough.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the advice:) I was able hook up my gps and install the detailed maps on my computer. Watched a couple of the tutorials and it's all starting to make sense now. It is actually pretty cool with the things you can do. There's a lot more stuff that I don't know yet but it's getting easier.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts