BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I added the XM Radio option on the Garmin. Works well with the Scala G4. I bought a second Scala G4 for my wife. However, when I attempt to pair the second unit thru the 665, I cannot get the 665 to set up so that we BOTH have Bluetooth connection to the XM, though it shows both units recognized on the 665 display.
It only allows one unit to connect for music listening purposes. If I try to connect the second G4 while the first on is on and connected to the 665, it kicks out the first G4. If I have the second G4 connected and try to go back and connect the first unit, it kicks out the second unit.

Dd I miss something here? ---You Can't connect two g4's at the same time to the 665..which is a bummer...or am I not setting this up correctly?? All help from the Gurus is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I do not think you missed anything. I have the same issue. My rider buddy and I both have G4 headsets and whenever I am connected to him xm radio is completely cut out. I have been trying to find a solution for a year. If you find one, please post.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
What did Scala say?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have emailed Scala support twice. No response. Can't find a phone number for Tech Support.
It could be a Garmin issue...
Maybe It's the Garmin tbat can't handle 2 Bluetooth inputs at the same time --But I thought I would start out with Scala

·
Registered
90 Posts
The way it was explained to me, Bluetooth can only have one pairing at a time. From what I understand, the G4 can prioritize the signals, so that it will override communication between the headsets. The Garmin can only send to one unit at a time, thus you will only get music from the garmin to one head set. I basically have the same problem with the G4. I want my passenger and I to be able to have music at the same time and be able to communicate, but as far as I know that isn't possible with the G4, or ANY of the bluetooth headsets.
I've seriously considered going back to the wired autocom system I still have on my other bike. :(

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That 's what I figured. After waiting online for a half hour to talk to a Garmin Rep-- I got the answer from you immediately -- thanks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If the FCC wouldn't have screwed things up, you could have listened to satellite radio through the G4 with a regular satellite radio through the FM band on the headsets. BUT . . .
The FCC restricted the strength of the signal, so unless you have the satellite radio glued to your helmet, the signal that it sends out is too weak for the antenna on the G4 to pick up. I thought I had it all figured out until I found out THAT little fact. I have the little pioneer satellite radio that takes a micro SD card for all my MP3's, and it broadcasts the MP3's on an FM band. But the signal is too weak for the G4's or any other headset to pick up without being right on top of it. I have tried to find some kind of an FM signal booster that I could wire in somewhere, but have been unsuccessful to date.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'll also save you a little frustration. Forget plugging into the input jack on the G4 if you want to maintain communication. The line in overrides the com system. I've been down the exact same road as you my friend trying to get com AND music to both riders at the same time :(

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
RockMonkey said:
The way it was explained to me, Bluetooth can only have one pairing at a time. From what I understand, the G4 can prioritize the signals, so that it will override communication between the headsets. The Garmin can only send to one unit at a time, thus you will only get music from the garmin to one head set. I basically have the same problem with the G4. I want my passenger and I to be able to have music at the same time and be able to communicate, but as far as I know that isn't possible with the G4, or ANY of the bluetooth headsets.
I've seriously considered going back to the wired autocom system I still have on my other bike. :(
I have a very slightly used Autocom SuperProAVI that was briefly used as a demo if you need one.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have the exact same unit on my FJR. I had 0 problems with it once I had it set up. Thanks for the offer, but seeing as The Boss won't ride on the back of that one anymore, I will probably take it off of that one and put it on the "garbage barge." :wave

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I need more info and background, since I am a newbie on the advancement made since I last rode a K100Lt.

I really like the Garmin 665 with its ability to link my cellphone and provide XM to my Scala G4-- and the ability to communicate thru the second Scala G4. How would the autocom integrate with all this?

·
Registered
90 Posts
With the Autocom, there are various input jacks for different devices. Everything is wired, but I found it worked with no issues when you set them up in the right sequence.

With the AVI, there was pretty well a jack for every device you could think of. I had the GPS, the Satellite radio, the MP3 player (at that time, had two seperate units) all hooked up. I could have hooked up the cell phone, but that is something I am totally uncomfortable with since the city I live in is BEYOND DANGEROUS for riders.

It prioritized the GPS first, followed by the com system (phone would have been second if I had gone that route) then the music. Everything however has to be wired with male to male 1/8" audio jacks for your devices. The com system is also wired, using a 7 pin (I think) connector. You end up with a "tail" sticking out of your helmet(s) which can be a little frustrating at times, and of course you don't have the freedom that bluetooth provides, but in the end I think it is probably the better route to go for riders like you and I until something can be done about the single pairing issue with bluetooth, or someone comes up with something different for wireless communication.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
We use the Autocom cables that have the 3.5mm jack in them so we can use our moulded in-ear monitors instead of the helmet speakers.

I also installed a simple toggle switch on the mic lead for those times when it is more convenient to turn off the mic than mess with VOX settings or windshield position. Rarely happens, but when on a 1500 mile trip, I would much rather flip a small toggle wedged into my helmet by the pigtail than dork around with the comms.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,916 Posts
deputy5211 said:
I also installed a simple toggle switch on the mic lead for those times when it is more convenient to turn off the mic than mess with VOX settings or windshield position. Rarely happens, but when on a 1500 mile trip, I would much rather flip a small toggle wedged into my helmet by the pigtail than dork around with the comms.
That is a great idea Tony, I'll have to add a switch to the wifes helmet. She is always opening up the visor on hot days and it messes with my music.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Wow! Made my day, John. Finally able to come up with something that helped you. A few more dozen good ideas and we might get close to even... ;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
The problem is with the Garmin it does not support multi session bluetooth. You need to get something like the Sena SM10, pair the Garmin to it and pair both headsets to the SM10. Take a look here for details. There are a couple other makers of simular devices and if you go to Webbikeworld.com and read on the testing they have done with bluetooth devices.

No need to hard wire anymore, now it is a option.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Don't you pair the driver's headset to the Zumo and then the passenger's headset to the driver's headset?

You can't have multiple accessories simultaneoulsy bluetoothed to the same source.

this is how my J&M system works.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Atomicman said:
Don't you pair the driver's headset to the Zumo and then the passenger's headset to the driver's headset?
Yes but the Zumo will only talk to one headset, not both.

Atomicman said:
You can't have multiple accessories simultaneoulsy bluetoothed to the same source.
Not sure what you are saying here, but you can connect more than one accessory bluetoothed to one headset. The vendor then sets a priority for the devices and they take turns based on that to talk/connect to the headset.
The SM10 however can and does connect to one source and simultaneously transmit to two headsets.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The SM10 looks like the way to go here, since we have already purchased the ScalaG4 system.
Just to confirm: the SM10 will pair with the Garmin, and then each of our Scala G4's can pair to the SM10...and voila-- we both get XM.

Does anyone know if the cell phone audio will also work thru the SM10, since the Garmin 665 provides pairing to Bluetooth enabled cellphones, and then send the audio onto the G4. I like being able to answer calls on those long rides. I don't do it in town.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
CaptainCBL said:
The SM10 looks like the way to go here, since we have already purchased the ScalaG4 system.
Just to confirm: the SM10 will pair with the Garmin, and then each of our Scala G4's can pair to the SM10...and voila-- we both get XM.

Does anyone know if the cell phone audio will also work thru the SM10, since the Garmin 665 provides pairing to Bluetooth enabled cellphones, and then send the audio onto the G4. I like being able to answer calls on those long rides. I don't do it in town.
You should be able to pair the Garmin with the SM10 and the Scala G4's and both get XM. See the Senabluetooth connection guide.

If you pair the phone to the Garmin and use the above setup, both will also hear the phone. I think I would pair the phone to the Scala and then only one person would get the phone, actually each could pair a separate phone and have a conference call. ;)

Don't forget to take a look a Webbikeworld because there a couple new units like the SM10 on the market now.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts