BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using the Garmin 590LM? Looking for any hands on experience with it. Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
Anyone using the Garmin 590LM? Looking for any hands on experience with it. Thanks
I'm curious to hear any 590 experience as well. I need a Nav 3 replacement and it appears that neither newer Nav interfaces to my VOICE II. So no reason to pay the BMW tax for a Nav. And the 590 gives me TPS capability.

The Garmin web site is very sparse regarding technical information, with no description of the 590 cable other than the hard wired power connections. I think it has wired audio output so I may attempt to interface to the Intercom since I have an extra interface cable with the 3 pin connector. I am pretty sure I have the power and ground pins identified and figure the 3rd has to be the audio. :)

Should be able to make this work as I suspect Garmin has used standard audio output drivers, but who knows what strange things BMW may have requested for the Nav line.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I'm also interested in the 590LM. I had my 665 stolen and am looking for a replacement. I liked the 665 except for the display in sunlight. Is the 590 much better?

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'd suggest you guys head over to Zumoforums and poke around.

The response to the 590 has been very positive. As always with a new product, some people want a specific behavior they're used to on their old unit, and it's not there; so they are either unhappy or recognize the need to adapt as the case may be.

But the vast majority are very pleased.

I have the Nav V, which is a different piece of hardware but has very similar software. I am very happy with it. There are some software differences here and there between the Nav V and the 590.

The viewability/readability is clearly improved from most of the older Garmins...in my case the Nav IV/660. As to whether it's "a little better", "much better", or "still sucks"...you'll get different opinions on that. I suspect the evaluation there depends on mounting location and angle, preferred dashboard, eyesight, level of expectation, and on and on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts