BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had any experience with the new 2720 on their LT or any other bike? Is it a better choice than the 2620?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just received a 2720 to replace a 2610 on my r12gs, I have not really used it a lot on the bike yet. I think either the 2720 or the 2610 is a better choice then the 2620 as the 2620 uses a micro-drive that they do not recomend using in applications with vibration. The 2720 uses a 2gb internal memory that holds all of North America while the 2610 had 256mb cf card (i think) that could be replaced with larger card to hold what ever Mapsource maps you need.

BTW, you may want to check out the new 2730, it is xm/weather and mp3.

Rodney

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
I have one and love it. There's been some good discussion on this forum about it in the last couple of months. Page back a bit and you'll see some.

·
Registered
590 Posts
The 2720 is on my wish list. I don't need the XM radio or the mp3 capability of the 2730, but I'm glad the newer unit came out because it seems to have pushed the price of the 2720 down a little. I saw it for $710 on one of the online discount sites the other day. I've even seen some used units on eBay already.

My question about the 2720 was whether you could plan routes on the computer, since the maps are preloaded. The 2720 comes with a USB cable but no software. I asked the folks at GetFeetWet.com; they said that Garmin will send you the software free on request after you buy the GPS (apparently only a small percentage of buyers want this ability). I may ask Garmin directly before I buy, though.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
wcarter said:
My question about the 2720 was whether you could plan routes on the computer, since the maps are preloaded.
It's my understanding that, just like the 2620, you can create and/or load routes from your PC via the USB port. The part in which I'm guessing is that the only s/w you need to do this is MapSource. And that's a free download anyway. A call to Garmin would probably clear this all up though. They have always been EXTREMELY helpful to me, thus far.

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
messenger13 said:
It's my understanding that, just like the 2620, you can create and/or load routes from your PC via the USB port. The part in which I'm guessing is that the only s/w you need to do this is MapSource. And that's a free download anyway. A call to Garmin would probably clear this all up though. They have always been EXTREMELY helpful to me, thus far.
That's correct. The only catch is that you may want to also spring for the DVD copy of City Navigator V7 NT that matches the map set pre-loaded into the unit. That way routes you plan in Mapsource will match the map set in the unit exactly. You can get by using older map sets (such as Metroguide USA) or other City Navigator versions but you'll get a warning from the GPS upon download of the route that there may be a need to recalculate due to mis-match of the map sets. The resulting recalculation is usually minor in this case depending on how old the map data is on your PC.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Todd, how is the "City Navigator v7 NT" different from the Mapsource software that comes with the unit?

Thanks!

·
Registered
182 Posts
2720 mount

Purchased the 2720, did not get it yet but was wondering if any one has any photos of any garmin 26XX or 27XX model on there bike, just tyring to see which is the best way to mount one, thanks

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Renzo said:
Purchased the 2720, did not get it yet but was wondering if any one has any photos of any garmin 26XX or 27XX model on there bike, just tyring to see which is the best way to mount one, thanks
Below is a pic of the best place to mount your GPS . . . but the worst method. I had the visor already there, and I'm cheap, so there you have it. Someday, I'll replace the visor with a Co-Pilot shelf by BMR. For some links and other suggestions, at the top of this page click on the word "Technical", then "Accessories", then "Gadget Mounts". HTH

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
ltcommuter said:
Todd, how is the "City Navigator v7 NT" different from the Mapsource software that comes with the unit?

Thanks!
MapSource is Garmin's mapping software. "City Navigator v7 NT" is the map database. In other words, it's the detailed information that MapSource uses to create routes.

I'm surprised that you would have to buy this seperately from the unit. Garmin SHOULD just provide you with a copy. That's the definite advantage with going with a unit where the map database is NOT preloaded (like the 2610).

If you're confused, keep asking questions. We'll try to get it sorted out for y'all. :)

·
Registered
630 Posts
Renzo said:
Renzo:

I have the 2620 mounted on a Boss-pro mount (see, http://www.saeng.com/2535.htm) and I like it very much.

Sorry I don't have a photo on my LT.

Hope this helps.

God bless:

·
Registered
80 Posts

I was looking into a 2720 & called Garmin for more info.
Was a few months ago, which means my memory banks cannot find the data but I remember that the tech said there was a difference in how easy or accessible it was to reprogram a route while it was not hooked up to a 'puter.
I decided that if I was going to upgrade from my SP III, I would go with the 2610 from the info he gave to me.
Too bad ! I really like the 3D view.

Douglas

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
douglas said:
I was looking into a 2720 & called Garmin for more info.
Was a few months ago, which means my memory banks cannot find the data but I remember that the tech said there was a difference in how easy or accessible it was to reprogram a route while it was not hooked up to a 'puter.
I decided that if I was going to upgrade from my SP III, I would go with the 2610 from the info he gave to me.
Too bad ! I really like the 3D view.

Douglas
Rule number one - As good as Garmin is, don't bet the farm on anything you hear from their tech support line. Always go to the source (this forum right here or others like it on ADVrider.com).

There were certainly some differences in the 26xx and 27xx user interface software. Many of these have been "corrected" with subsequent upgrades. I love the 2720 and don't have any issues with route planning either on the fly or in Mapsource before the ride.

Here it is mounted on my bikes (though not much help to you folks LOL).

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
I bought a refurbished 2610 and added a 2 gig CF card works great. Then you have the whole US and no vibration problems that you have with a microdrive.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Too bad you don't ride a real bike anymore. ;) :p

Merry Christmas, Todd!!

·
Registered
320 Posts
messenger13 said:
Below is a pic of the best place to mount your GPS . . . but the worst method. I had the visor already there, and I'm cheap, so there you have it. Someday, I'll replace the visor with a Co-Pilot shelf by BMR. For some links and other suggestions, at the top of this page click on the word "Technical", then "Accessories", then "Gadget Mounts". HTH

Hey Joe...looking at the photo you included in your earlier post in this thread......doesn't the 2610 tend to vibrate downward when using the standard dashboard mount? Mine sure does and I was going to install the motorcycle bracket this winter when I saw your installation picture.

I'm effort challanged (i.e. lazy) and don't wanna do nutting I don't hafta!

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
... and there's messy13, doing 93.7 mph, riding with one hand, taking a picture, and coming up to the top of a hill with no visibility over it (shades of Don Arthur's recent adventure). Good example of safe riding, Joe! :D

- Bob

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
CWF said:
Hey Joe...looking at the photo you included in your earlier post in this thread......doesn't the 2610 tend to vibrate downward when using the standard dashboard mount?
It USE to. I solved that problem with a little set screw that I added to the back of mine. PM me and remind to take a pic and show you what I did. Very easy...and a cheap fix.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
bob_menton said:
... and there's messy13, doing 93.7 mph, riding with one hand, taking a picture, and coming up to the top of a hill with no visibility over it (shades of Don Arthur's recent adventure). Good example of safe riding, Joe! :D

- Bob
For your information Mr. Know Itall...I'm riding with NO hands! :D :D :D

(Actually...it's amazing how slow 93.7 mph seems going across Montana.)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts