BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2008 k1200lt with a garmin 2720 gps. I can hear the gps through the j&m intercom. Is there a way to hear the gps through the speakers on the bike instead?

I no longer use the stock wired headset. I have gone to bluetooth headsets. But my current 2720 does not have bluetooth. So I would happily settle for the audio from the speakers built into the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
oosel said:
I have a 2008 k1200lt with a garmin 2720 gps. I can hear the gps through the j&m intercom. Is there a way to hear the gps through the speakers on the bike instead?

I no longer use the stock wired headset. I have gone to bluetooth headsets. But my current 2720 does not have bluetooth. So I would happily settle for the audio from the speakers built into the bike.
Nope... unless you hack away on your harness... :mad:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
shoswell said:
Nope... unless you hack away on your harness... :mad:
don't do that, I did and worked fine until I started the bike which blew the audio circuit in the Garmin definitely doesn't make any noise now!!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I thought the '05's and later had a 3.5mm auxiliary jack on the back of the radio? (Have to remove stingray to get to it).

The Garmin 2720 has a 3.5mm audio out pin, so voila? Mine's an '01, so there is a good chance I am incorrect...

If you want music, you'd have to store your mp3's in the Garmin, because that would be your one audio source.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I seem to remember seeing bluetooth transmitters that plug into headphone or audio out jacks.

If you are comfortable soldering you can install an audio in jack into your radio. You'll find that info buy searching for info reparing the radio (common problem is the amplifiers kill themselves).

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
oosel said:
Any reason you don't want the Garmin feed to the your bluetooth headset? As BecketMa was suggesting you could get a Bluetooth Dongle the transmit the output from the Garmin to your headset. There are lots of dongle's out there on the web but I would stay away from the $20 ones and go for something like the HJC chatterbox, it can be found for around $50.00. Another place to look is Webbikeworld they did a review of adapters here .HTH

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
hallzee said:
I thought the '05's and later had a 3.5mm auxiliary jack on the back of the radio? (Have to remove stingray to get to it).

The Garmin 2720 has a 3.5mm audio out pin, so voila? Mine's an '01, so there is a good chance I am incorrect...

If you want music, you'd have to store your mp3's in the Garmin, because that would be your one audio source.
WRONG.... You get whats behind door #1... :D

Sorta... If you have the voice II, that com system uses the "hole" that the 5 series car adapter plugs into. in addition, the "mode" has to be in "aux" which prevents the use of the radio... Either /Or situation.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
johnbaker15 said:
Any reason you don't want the Garmin feed to the your bluetooth headset? As BecketMa was suggesting you could get a Bluetooth Dongle the transmit the output from the Garmin to your headset. There are lots of dongle's out there on the web but I would stay away from the $20 ones and go for something like the HJC chatterbox, it can be found for around $50.00. Another place to look is Webbikeworld they did a review of adapters here .HTH
I'm not so sure about this. I have a Garmin 2730 and a 99 LT, and the only way I've managed so far to get the XM built into the GPS to play through the factory stereo is to use one of those cassette adapters in the factory cassette deck and plug it into the audio out of the GPS. Of course, this won't help with the newer LTs w/o cassette. :p

I have tried at least two different blue tooth dongles, but I was also trying to link them to a Schuberth SRC system, as well as BMW's bluetooth helmet (which I originally thought were more or less one in the same- WRONG!) One dongle was Harley Davidson's, which put me out of around $50 + shipping, and the other I found while out on the road at a Kawasaki dealership in Colorado this past September. I fail to remember the brand name, but that darn thing parted me with nearly $150, and that was with the cashier giving me a discount.

I'm fairly certain my issues are with these damn helmets. One would think Bluetooth would be an industry standardized technology, but that's far from the case, as I've learned the hard way. There are several different "flavors" of Bluetooth, and to think any bluetooth device will pair up w/ another just makes too much sense, so they didn't standardize it (reminds me of the US Army).

Imagine, buying a new Chevrolet, Ford, Jaguar, whatever, w/ bluetooth capability for hands free calling, and discovering that your particular vehicle will only pair w/ say a Nokia phone, while your spouse's other brand cager will only pair w/ a Motorola. Is that not dumb as hell? :cussing:

But that's the case when you try to pair these bluetooth dongles and communicators and whatever else with each other. What's interesting is a lot of these bluetooth communicators by Cardo, Scala, etc., advertise you can communicate with other bikers within certain distance of you. Well, I'm guessing that's b*lllsh!t unless the two happen to be using the same brand and model of communicator.

I might have gone on a tangent here. :eek:
I have reluctantly resorted to going w/ the just as expensive wires/cords through the factory intercom/communications system that Oosel is trying to avoid.

BTW, if I never had a desire to wear a lid, then all of this would be moot, but wearing any kind of helmet covering your ears will obviously limit the amount of volume you can hear. :rolleyes: I often found myself lifting my visor on my C3, so I could enjoy the music a little more so. The other thing is I've always thought it would be neat to converse w/ my wife while riding. That's pretty much a pipe dream without a intercom system, but then you fellow bikers already knew this. :(

Oosel, Good luck with your audio endeavors. :bmw:

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
While going thru WebBikeWorld reviews I see mention that some dongles weren't mating with some headsets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts