BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is the story, one that is likely frequent....I purchased a 2620 last summer which works great, as it is. I would now like to create and add routes for this coming summer's vacation travel but I don't have any Mapsource software to assist in creating the routes.
A couple of days ago, I ordered Garmin Mapsource Trip and Waypoint Manager thinking this is what I needed. Now I am not so sure. I have viewed a couple of Youtube videos that show how to use Mapsource, but I have alot to learn....if/when I get the right software. Looking at Garmin's site, Mapsource download requires owning another Mapsource product.

Here is the question? Will Trip and Waypoint Manager have the tools I need?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Munmi said:
So here is the story, one that is likely frequent....I purchased a 2620 last summer which works great, as it is. I would now like to create and add routes for this coming summer's vacation travel but I don't have any Mapsource software to assist in creating the routes.
A couple of days ago, I ordered Garmin Mapsource Trip and Waypoint Manager thinking this is what I needed. Now I am not so sure. I have viewed a couple of Youtube videos that show how to use Mapsource, but I have alot to learn....if/when I get the right software. Looking at Garmin's site, Mapsource download requires owning another Mapsource product.

Here is the question? Will Trip and Waypoint Manager have the tools I need?
Sorry I can't answer your question, but I'll make a suggestion. Garmin's customer service has always been responsive and very helpful whenever I've had an issue. You can contact them via email, or phone. I'd suggest you give them a try.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Owned a 2610, a 2720, then a 2820 ... always managed ALL of them using just plain ol' MapSource. I'm a bit confused by your use of the term "Trip and Waypoint Manager". Maybe that is it's full name. :confused: We've just always called it "MapSource".

MapSource does seem a bit cumbersome at first, or maybe even a tad over-whelming ... but once you "get it", it is AWESOME!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the link, Messenger. I have tried the download there a few times. Upon each attempt, a window opens stating that I needed a prior Mapsource product before it would open. Tried again, up your suggestion, it looks like it has worked this time :) . Thanks a bunch. I will report back later with the results. :dance:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like maybe I need a 'heavier' version of Mapsource such as City Navigator North America v6. One that has auto-routing capabilities. The version that I downloaded (above) does not have 'routing' in the edit/preferences dialogue. The tutorials I have located all mention adjusting the routing preferences before getting started with route creation.
:confused:

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Im not sure what you downloaded but Mapsource 6.16.3 is 57mb download and does have a routing tab under edit/preferences menu. When you select preferences you get 11 tabs from Display to Routing.

Attachments

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked to confirm that I did in fact have the 6.16.3 version installed. I do...but mine does not have the route tab in preferences. So I uninstalled then reinstalled and same thing. Upon preparing to reinstall, I read through some of the fine print on the download page. It states that it will not work without a previous Mapsource product installed. Maybe when the Trip and Waypoint Manager software gets here, it will work.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Re: Gamin 2620 routing

its true this is an update, you need the original CD to update from. I heard there is a training version that you can upgrade from somewhere on the Internet. I don't have information on the. You could try goggle. You could also try Gamin customer service sine you have the gps unit they might help you with a copy of the software.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts