BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone care to share their solution to their garage needs in regard to flooring and cabinets?

Also, would luv to see some photos of how you have decorated the garage (i.e-nostalgia or other theme)!!!!!

·
Registered
704 Posts
I'm in the process of updating my garage right now. I Nothing fancy. I painted the walls with a low luster light grey house paint making sure to get paint in all the nooks and crannys for a solid look. There were some small build in shelves in the read which I painted white and plan to mount a pre-made countertop for the top shelf. I also plan on purchasing white cabinets from Home Depot to line parts of the walls. Some will be used as a pantry, others to hold golf clubs, helmets, oil, tools, etc. I will put up flourescent lighting on two areas to help avaoid shadows, an overhead storage area too. I have not decided on the floor. It is currently cement with a few cracks. I'm torn between one of those epoxy floor paints and indoor-outdoor carpeting.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Dave...

Here is what I used on my Garage Floor. It was very easy to put down and works great. Cleans off very easily as well. The nice thing about it is that you can add some type of sand (not really sand cant remember what it was) to give it grip so you dont slip when the surface gets a little damp

http://www.ucoatit.com/

As for cabinets, I was looking at the ones from Sears. I have seen them on their web site but havent been able to get to a store to see them in person. I really like the matching workbench and cabinets.

http://www6.sears.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&categoryId=20827&langId=-1&rrc=1&productId=158353690
(Canadian site, Im sure they would have them in the US)

Cheers

·
Registered
279 Posts
The ultimate home workshop

Since I’m moving to a new home in a couple of weeks, I’ll be facing a similar situation. Here’s my ideas/suggestions for the ultimate garage workshop…

1. A smooth concrete floor with no cracks or large joints. Should be painted with an epoxy sealer/paint and colored white or light gray to reflect light up to where you’re working. It’s surprising how much difference a light colored floor can make over plain concrete. It also makes it much easier to find those little parts that get dropped, and to clean up drips and spills.

2. Adequate lighting over work areas. A couple of big fluorescent lights mean no more dark corners or eye strain.

3. A generous sized work bench with a wooden butcher-block top. Gives you room to spread out the parts while you’re working, and it’s non-magnetic/non-conductive for working on electronic stuff.

4. An air compressor with filters and oil/water separators. Gotta have clean, dry air for those pneumatic tools and spray guns.

5. A flammable storage locker for paints, oils and solvents. (Your insurance company will thank you.)

6. Lots of electrical outlets (including at least one 30 amp 220V electrical outlet for that MIG welder you've always wanted!) It's a pain in the butt to have to drag an extension cord around the shop all the time, or to have to unplug one tool just so you can use another one. Even if you don't need it now, it's a safe bet that someday soon, you'll want it.

Some nice-to-haves…

1. A big roll-around tool cabinet. Plenty of drawers to sort out tools and keep them organized. Lockable to keep the spouse and kids from borrowing your tools then never putting them back. (Also impresses your buddies when they come over to check out your new shop.)

2. A motorcycle lift table. Almost a necessity for us old fogies who can’t deal with kneeling on cold concrete floors anymore.

3. Air conditioning/heating for the work space. It’s hard to enjoy working in the shop when you’re freezing or sweating your butt off!

Once you have your workshop set up, here's some tips on working there…

1. Keep it clean! Don’t let your work bench or shop area become the dumping ground for all the junk that comes into the garage. Keep the floor clean to avoid the potential for slips and trips. Put the tools away when you’re finished with them, so you’ll know where they are the next time you need them! A clean shop is a safe shop!

2. Use proper safety equipment. Safety glasses, hearing protection, respirators/dust masks, proper footwear and clothing. All can go a long way towards making your home workshop a place you can enjoy for a long time to come.

Ride Safe!

·
Prodigal Son
1,297 Posts
Someday I'll build the replacement of my beloved 'Man-Shed' --"BUBBA1".
(Maybe I can dig out some picture from storage.)
A few incompleted life "issues" remain to be resolved.
When they do ,the hangar/garage/workshop/Man-Shed/Hang-Out will mostly be a smaller version of the last one. (guess it'll have to be "little bubba1"

Metal consruction, eave, ridge and pwer venting, integral wall metal shelving and cabinets. Exterior fuel farm. Solar power assistance.
Epoxy floor paint (chemical resistant).
Wilson Bi-Fold Door.
WasherDryer, shower, bathroom.
Elevated corner hangout/crash-pad/treehouse.
Already have the lift, roll around and retained most tools.
It's the dreams that keep us going--eh?

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
My work shop is a 28 X 32 foot 3 car garage of wood frame construction. Currently unfinished inside but very functional. My main work bench is an 8 1/2 foot long piece of bowling ally sitting on 4X4 legs and framed with 2X8's. For cabinets, being a frugal (my wife says cheap) individual, I visited a local cabinet shop and ask what they did with old cabinets when they tore them out of someones house prior to installing new ones. They said they usually destroyed them. So, I ask if I could have some for my shop. A couple of weeks later I got a call and they gave me an address and I showed up with my 16 foot trailer and they loaded a whole set of used cabinets and counter tops for me to take home at no charge. Now I'll say they're not as pretty as all them fancy craftsman metal ones that we all dream about but they certainly were a bunch cheaper!! Some day, when I get rich, I'll insulate and finish the walls and ceiling, install AC, get some of them fancy metal cabinets, put in the frig and bathroom! Yea, well, we all have our dreams!

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Well, I thought my dream shop was about to come true, but the contract on my home here in San Diego fell out of escrow, so I may lose the contract we had on the home in Tennessee. I was already thinking of all the things I was going to do with my new space there. It has a 35X42 foot basement, with 10 foot vertical clearance, and a double garage door leading into it. That in addition to the 2 car garage on the main level. I was already pricing auto lifts!

The only hope I have now is to find a new buyer here before that one is sold.:( Probably a pretty low chance of that, as the market here is slowing down. I missed the peak! :mad:

·
Registered
179 Posts
grifscoots said:
Bummer, David. Happiness is truly a great gearage.

Grif is right, when I grow up I want to have one just like his, icebox and all:)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Lynn_Keen said:
I visited a local cabinet shop and ask what they did with old cabinets when they tore them out of someones house prior to installing new ones. They said they usually destroyed them. So, I ask if I could have some for my shop. A couple of weeks later I got a call and they gave me an address and I showed up with my 16 foot trailer and they loaded a whole set of used cabinets and counter tops for me to take home at no charge.
An excellent idea, Lynn! One of my in-laws is a building contractor. Think I'll talk to him and see what he's got available!

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
Attached is an article that was in Saturday's newspaper. It talks about different types of floor coatings.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Paint the garage floor

Having just done this at the shop where I work. we did 8000 square feet.
Our concrete is a 6 bag mix and harder than most floor in home garages.
We beat the snot out of our floor drag cabinets, benches, drive the fork lift over it. it is holding up very good so far. We used a Sherwin Williams system not sold at the box stores but thru Sherwin-Williams stores $50.00 a gallon or so but well worth it. We put 2 coats on $0.45 cent a square foot.

This stuff is way better than the rustoleum kits the box stores sell.

Preparation is key.

Clean & degrease with a real good detergent. Citrus based are good.

Let dry a few hours Then muriatic acid wash with mop and bucket. RINSE RINSE and RINSE again.

Wash with a mild detergent and rinse 2 times.

Renting a small floor scrubber like the grocery stores use. Has a rotating brush and vacuum all in one. make this work much easier and faster Should cost no more than $75.00 a day. You can use these machines to vacuum up the floor and even the acids. Just flush it out when done.

Then let dry for a few days. use fans and heat if necessary. Ideal temp for paint application is 55 to 75 deg.

If you can, use a moisture meter to make sure floor is dry before applying epoxy. and use lots of ventilation and wear a respirator.

It is a lot of work but well worth it.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
bmwrider79 said:
We used a Sherwin Williams system not sold at the box stores but thru Sherwin-Williams stores $50.00 a gallon or so but well worth it. We put 2 coats on $0.45 cent a square foot.

This stuff is way better than the rustoleum kits the box stores sell.

Preparation is key.
Good product, Mike. I used to sell and install an epoxy floor covering system called 'Sundek', and for those folks who'd rather do it themselves, we alwayz recommended the Sherwin-Williams product as a close match to our pro-installed one.

One suggestion for folks doing their own epoxy system installs: ask the Sherwin-Williams retailer for a jar of their 'Sharkskin' product. A leetle goes a long way - follow directions and add it to the epoxy mix (or if just painting a floor, add it to the paint). It will provide decent slip-resistance to the surface finish; won't be noticeable in that it doesn't 'freckle'; and won't impact the ease of cleaning that is inherent in an epoxy finish. Good stuff.

·
IBR# 366
16,562 Posts
Sounds good, JetDoc. There are a couple of warnings. If you try and make a single concrete slab too big, it will eventually crack on its own. I remember something like 10' x 10' as a safe max size.

Also, be careful of those really cheap fluorescent shop lights. Ask Vince what happened to his garage when they decided to start a fire while he was at WCR.

·
Senior Member (ret.)
10,857 Posts

Attachments

·
Prodigal Son
1,297 Posts
bmwrider79 said:
We used a Sherwin Williams system not sold at the box stores but thru Sherwin-Williams stores $50.00 a gallon or so but well worth it. We put 2 coats on $0.45 cent a square foot.

and use lots of ventilation and wear a respirator.
Great Stuff!!!!! wasn't that much in 91 when we used it though.
Bubba1's floor was covered with this.
You will get high if not properly ventilated.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
early1 said:
Great Stuff!!!!!
You will get high if not properly ventilated.
Really?? Hmmm .... alwayz wondered why my guyz, when doing a residential garage, put the door down??!!!! And here I thought they were keeping the boss man and the critters from tracking stuff in!! Rascals!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Mine is a work in progress. Been spending too much time riding
to get things done.

Basic details-
40' x 54' with 12' ceiling, vinyl sided exterior
6 sack concrete floor with wirsbo tubing for radiant heat
8' x 8' full bathroom
12' x 20' x 8' high enclosed workshop set up like L shape
kitchen with slop sink.
Interior walls and ceiling finished with white steel siding
9000 lb. two post lift
100 amp electric service

Now all I need is some new found ambition to do some finish work.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts