BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying a '09 RT that has been sitting for three years! Good news is I got a smoking deal. Now I am looking for advise on how to proceed. Can I just siphon out all of the old gas and refill and crank it up and then change the rest of the fluids ASAP? Course I know the battery has to be replaced - any suggestions? Any and all help welcomed.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Where are you located? Was the bike stored inside or outside? Details help with questions like this...

If the bike was stored inside in Southern California I'd probably just change the gas and ride it. If it was stored outside in a place with harsh winters and hot humid summers, I'd change all the fluids because of potential condensation, etc...

Reactions: tvguy

·
Registered
257 Posts
Change the brake fluid, oil and filter, final drive oil and lube the driveshaft splines. Put fresh gas in it with some Techron and take it for a ride.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where are you located? Was the bike stored inside or outside? Details help with questions like this...

If the bike was stored inside in Southern California I'd probably just change the gas and ride it. If it was stored outside in a place with harsh winters and hot humid summers, I'd change all the fluids because of potential condensation, etc...
It has lived its entire life in Las Vegas in a garage.

It has been stored in a garage in Las Vegas it’s entire life

·
Registered
212 Posts
I’d take that tank off, and give it a real cleaning, siphoning the fuel, you’ll never get it all, too many baffles in there. After all these years it deserves a real cleaning.
Fresh fluids everywhere.

·
Cat Herder
1,560 Posts
It has lived its entire life in Las Vegas in a garage.
The great news it was stored in a nice dry place. No worry of moisture in places it shouldn't be. If it hasn't really been ridden in awhile it would be best to change all the fluids and Walmart has Mobile-1 20w/50 motorcycle oil back on the shelf for $9.90/qt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts