BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
554 Posts
I have first world problems. Fall/Spring, the bikes are in my shop since I take my truck to work more often. So I need one button for that door. In the summer, truck goes in the shop, bikes go in the garage as the wife and I take that to work most often. So I need a 2 button remote.
I have mine in the right cubby, just because the 2 button remote I need takes up the rest of the space nicely. The left side I need more room to put my sunglasses in. Not enough room in the right for those.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a Meross Garage Door Opener that is HomeKit compatible.

I just say into my headset “Hey Siri, open garage door” and it opens. No button pressing needed.
Me too ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was just looking at that, watching the videos, etc. It seems like a nice system, and reasonably priced. But for those of us who don't wear any sort of mic, don't have any sort of com system set up in our helmets, this is not appropriate, correct?

In my case -- no com system in my helmet -- I still think a single left-hand button push on, say, a Mo-Door button in the dash, as I am approaching the driveway, is the simplest, and allows me to continue riding from the street, up the driveway, without having stopped until I'm at my parking spot in the garage.

·
Registered
40 Posts
And me even more simplistic. The garage door opener goes in the right front lower pocket of my riding jacket. Approaching the house I pull in the clutch, then reach down with my right hand and after feeling for the opener, push the open button thru the jacket.
That’s pretty simple, all right. But you have to remember to put the remote there each ride (or do you just leave it in there?).

·
Registered
77 Posts
I followed Audi403's lead and did the exact same thing. Works great and is convenient. Not having to dig around in the handlebar bag for the opener is a huge plus.

When in my old house I installed flash to pass on two bikes and while it worked OK, I would frequently go into the garage in the morning and find the opener's light on as if the door had just been operated. I contacted flash to pass with the trouble and never heard from them about a possible cause or solution. While the door never opened unexpectedly, the fact that the light was being triggered worried me that it would. I eventually eliminated the flash to pass system.

·
Registered
81 Posts
A lot simpler solution that I use. Buy yourself a "Chamberlain Group MC100-P Universal Garage Door Opener". It's ‎1.34 x 0.58 x 2.38 inches and easily fits in the small compartments under the handlebars. I just pull up, stop, open the compartment and push the opener button. It's that easy. I know something similar to this has been discussed, but really ... it only takes an extra 10 secs to stop, open compartment, push opener button. Add up all the time spent trying to add an option to the bike that allows you to open the garage door upon approach so the door is fully open by the time you get there, and I'm sure you'll spend a lot more time doing that.

Chamberlain MC100-P
I use the same remote, but cable tied under the right handle bar near the throttle housing. Have stuck a larger round stick rubber button to make it easier to find with gloves on. It helps that I have raisers fitted. As I come home when I'm 1 house away, I'm already slowing down, I take my right hand off the throttle press the button, and ride straight in. It's fitted out of the way, it's under the handle bar, it has the front brake master cylinder in front of it. It is pretty well hidden from the rain. Works for me.

·
Premium Member
6,220 Posts
So every time you use your brakes it operates the garage door opener?
Yup.
That's funny!! :) If I did that, I would have the garage door opening as I brake to turn into my driveway, and the door coming down as I brake again just in front of the garage! I guess I would need to ride slower, and get my timing just right and only brake once I was inside the garage!

·
Registered
2009 R1200RT Low, 2010 R1200RT Low
41 Posts
That's funny!! :) If I did that, I would have the garage door opening as I brake to turn into my driveway, and the door coming down as I brake again just in front of the garage! I guess I would need to ride slower, and get my timing just right and only brake once I was inside the garage!
Yes, it has it's downsides......

·
Premium Member
6,220 Posts
Why don't you just change it so that, let's say, the high-beam triggers the garage door opening!

·
Registered
2009 R1200RT Low, 2010 R1200RT Low
41 Posts
Why don't you just change it so that, let's say, the high-beam triggers the garage door opening!
Interesting - I ride with my bright on all the time for safety. I thought most people do. Anyway, I had installed a PTT button when I had a CB on the bike. Next rainy day I will splice it in line with the power to the opener.

And yes, it is a pain when I stop at the mail box to get the mail, and the door opens. Then when I pull up it's up-down-up-down......

41 - 56 of 56 Posts