BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
I bought a used Homelink transmitter off ebay ($20) and programed it to my garage door opener. I shorted the switch so the Homelink transmitter would be always on when 12v was applied. Tapped into the high beam for the 12v signal then sealed the transmitter in a plastic bag and cabled tied it under the fairing. Now I just use the flash to pass high beam switch and my garage door opens.

·
Registered
40 Posts
LiftMaster Soldering, Mo-Door Purchase, IP67 Momentary Switch, Flash2Pass

Just to add some data points, my experience in this area, some of which may be relevant here, give folks some ideas, etc.

1) On a Victory bagger, I added some wires and did some soldering on a spare LiftMaster remote, added a momentary switch, drilled a hole, and installed the finished product under the fairing. I have a gallery of this process -- pics, links, captions -- on my web site, here, which shows the solder points, among other things.

2) On my next attempt on another bike, I used a second spare transmitter, but butchered the soldering (and hence the circuit board). Like @Grouchy (see earlier post), I don't have very much experience with tiny soldering. So, I said screw it, and bought a Mo-Door opener:

I installed this up-front, under the nose-cone tupperware, on a 650 Burgman. I did make a minor mod: I didn't like the thin switch that came with the Mo-Door, so I snipped it off, and replaced that with a Urtone UR162 (which I discovered after I used a switch from Eastern Beaver on the Victory/LiftMaster setup):

I put the switch on the dash area of the Big Burger (upper left in this pic, for left-hand use):

Camera accessory Cameras & optics Auto part Personal luxury car Carbon

This setup works fine, with the caveat that the inner push-button area has become sort of a bronze color; this doesn't bother me, given that the switch has worked flawlessly, but it might concern some. I haven't had to replace the battery in four or five years now. Incidentally, I have a HomeLink-equipped car, and the Mo-Door has a greater range than the car; I can easily press this a house or two away, coming up the street before turning into my driveway.

3) There is a device, similar to what @shooks wants to accomplish (see earlier post), called Flash2Pass:

Currently unavailable on Amazon:

I recall reading about this for a decade or so, but have no experience with it.

4) I must admit that talking to a smart device is an interesting concept, one I hadn't thought about before. My wife and I have an Alexa device, and one outlet controlled by it.

There's even this all-purpose smart-home device -- and probably others -- available (and, again, no experience with it):

OTOH, it sure is easy to lift a hand off the left grip and press a button for a less than a second, i.e., the way I have my current Burgman set up ... and not have to worry about having a mic on a helmet, or a phone, and so forth. I do check my pre-ride pressures with a phone with the FOBO app, so I'm not a total Luddite, but I am very pleased with the Mo-Door and UR162, FWIW.

·
Registered
'18 R 1200 RT
30 Posts
A lot simpler solution that I use. Buy yourself a "Chamberlain Group MC100-P Universal Garage Door Opener". It's ‎1.34 x 0.58 x 2.38 inches and easily fits in the small compartments under the handlebars. I just pull up, stop, open the compartment and push the opener button. It's that easy. I know something similar to this has been discussed, but really ... it only takes an extra 10 secs to stop, open compartment, push opener button. Add up all the time spent trying to add an option to the bike that allows you to open the garage door upon approach so the door is fully open by the time you get there, and I'm sure you'll spend a lot more time doing that.

Chamberlain MC100-P

·
Registered
2009 R1200RT Low, 2010 R1200RT Low
39 Posts
Mine is wired to the brake light. Was able to find one that runs on 12V, so just soldered a wire across the switch, then ran power from the brake light. Unit is velcroed under the seat.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
That is exactly what I have been doing for many years now, but it means that I have to come to a stop in front of my garage before opening up the cubby, and then open the garage door! It would be nice if I could simply command the door to open while I was a couple of houses down the block! ;)
Same for me
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Car Automotive design

Reactions: dpickens and PadG

·
Registered
134 Posts
Oh man, you guys really one upped me. I never even thought about that! I have MyQ which works with a bunch of smart apps. I'll have to play with it when I get home from work. I can probably open mine on a voice command too :-I
Guys -
Take a look at SimpleCommands and LiveKey for IOS and I think Android. These apps support GeoLocation, which means that as you approach your home, a command will be sent to MyQ to open the garage door. It also works in reverse, should you desire to close the door as you pull away. The best part of this is that there are no buttons, commands to say, etc. You just approach/depart and the magic happens. These apps also allow you to check status of the door.
Font Material property Magenta Screenshot Circle

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
261 Posts
Guys -
Take a look at SimpleCommands and LiveKey for IOS and I think Android. These apps support GeoLocation, which means that as you approach your home, a command will be sent to MyQ to open the garage door. It also works in reverse, should you desire to close the door as you pull away. The best part of this is that there are no buttons, commands to say, etc. You just approach/depart and the magic happens. These apps also allow you to check status of the door.
View attachment 177805
Really cool stuff! Thanks.

Uhhh, so let's see. As I'm zipping up and down my street for a post service test ride, my garage door will be cycling up and down, up and down, too? 😨🤔 M-A-Y-B-E, that'd work out, since almost every time I'm approaching the garage or leaving, I'm likely going to want the door open or close (and just disable something otherwise). Sounds reasonable in theory. Kinda weird, maybe, but .... something to think about for sure. Interesting concept. (Hmmm, and if the computer robot decides he hates me, the garage door comes crashing down upon me as I'm entering the garage. Just don't piss off the robots! 😏)

·
Registered
2019 R1250RT
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Really cool stuff! Thanks.

Uhhh, so let's see. As I'm zipping up and down my street for a post service test ride, my garage door will be cycling up and down, up and down, too? 😨🤔 M-A-Y-B-E, that'd work out, since almost every time I'm approaching the garage or leaving, I'm likely going to want the door open or close (and just disable something otherwise). Sounds reasonable in theory. Kinda weird, maybe, but .... something to think about for sure. Interesting concept. (Hmmm, and if the computer robot decides he hates me, the garage door comes crashing down upon me as I'm entering the garage. Just don't piss off the robots! 😏)
I agree. Cool idea in theory, but not something I'd like to be controlling my garage door.

·
Registered
2019 R1250RT
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Guys, I lied about the MyQ working with Google Assistant voice commands. It does work, but with only partial functionality. It is capable of closing a garage door or checking the status of the garage door. It is not capable of opening the door. It's also a bit of a process to do. For me with a Cardo unit I have to hold the two buttons to activate a voice command, say talk to MyQ, then ask if my garage door is open/closed, or ask it to close the garage door. If you ask to open the garage door it tells you for security purposes it cannot open the garage door yet.

Still very happy with my pushbutton. I don't need to come to a stop or open the front compartment to use it. I close the door as I roll down the driveway and I open it as I come around the block. No relying on cell phones or Bluetooth voice commands, no extra steps. Would do it again.

·
Registered
'22 1250 GSA next week. '17 RTW ready to trade.
238 Posts
Figured I'd throw this up here in case anyone was interested in doing something similar on their bike. Works awesome, I do one for all my bikes. Soldered into a standard garage door opener. Sealed it with heat shrink and secured it with velcro to the bike. 19mm hole for the pushbutton which came with an O-ring to weatherproof it. I added a bead of caulk on the underside for extra protection.

This is the switch used:
It comes in a glossy finish but I got a tip from a member of another BMW forum who suggested to use Scotch Brite on it to remove the gloss finish. It worked pretty well to get it to more of a matte finish.

View attachment 177715
Needs "Panic" in white letters.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Did I miss it? I don't see any discussion of the Flash2Pass system, which opens or closes your garage door when you press your HighBeam flasher twice in quick order. Since our garage door opener is the old-fashioned kind (park the bike, get off, find your key, open the door, remount your bike, ride in, park your bike, close the garage door), this thread is academic to me.

·
Registered
2019 R1250RT
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Did I miss it? I don't see any discussion of the Flash2Pass system, which opens or closes your garage door when you press your HighBeam flasher twice in quick order. Since our garage door opener is the old-fashioned kind (park the bike, get off, find your key, open the door, remount your bike, ride in, park your bike, close the garage door), this thread is academic to me.
I think it was mentioned. Last time I looked into this, I think it was last year, it appeared these aren't in production any more.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes, I mentioned it last week, in post 22, above. And, yep, after searching for a few minutes, it does look like it's no longer being produced.

To expand on what I said in that post, and based on some subsequent posts, let me add that I actually tried tiny remotes in my pocket or in a cubby on the bike, for a year or more, but I came to prefer not reaching for anything, not trying to find anything, and not stopping on a bike, as I come up the street approaching my house.

That is -- and I know we're talking about the little things in life here, very minor annoyances, etc. -- I really like the one-button press to open a door, with a push-button switch mounted on a dash somewhere, i.e., using a Mo-Door or a switch soldered into a spare remote (see earlier thread for details). To my mind, it just doesn't get any simpler than that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is what I use. I pull up to the house, it opens automatically, I leave it closes the garage automatically. It even closes the garage door at night if I forget. Simple and works with most garage door openers without tinkering with your bike.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is what I use. I pull up to the house, it opens automatically, I leave it closes the garage automatically. It even closes the garage door at night if I forget. Simple and works with most garage door openers without tinkering with your bike.

Okay, that’s even simpler than pushing a button.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts