BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2019 R1250RT
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I'd throw this up here in case anyone was interested in doing something similar on their bike. Works awesome, I do one for all my bikes. Soldered into a standard garage door opener. Sealed it with heat shrink and secured it with velcro to the bike. 19mm hole for the pushbutton which came with an O-ring to weatherproof it. I added a bead of caulk on the underside for extra protection.

This is the switch used:
It comes in a glossy finish but I got a tip from a member of another BMW forum who suggested to use Scotch Brite on it to remove the gloss finish. It worked pretty well to get it to more of a matte finish.

Camera accessory Automotive tire Automotive design Grey Cameras & optics
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Trunk Window

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
269 Posts
My garage opens with a special verbal code that I speak into my Cardo, to phone, to the garage receiver.

Don't tell anyone, but the code words are "Open Sesame".

No, I haven't actually done this, but am pretty certain I could figure out a way to do so, if I wanted. What you've done a pretty cool mod, but seems like overkill to me. I have a garage remote, and will put it either in my tank bag, Velcro it to the bike, or put it in my sleeve pocket (what I've done in the past, i.e. one sleeve gets the garage remote, the other, my BMW key.

·
Registered
2019 R1250RT
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What you've done a pretty cool mod, but seems like overkill to me. I have a garage remote, and will put it either in my tank bag, Velcro it to the bike, or put it in my sleeve pocket (what I've done in the past, i.e. one sleeve gets the garage remote, the other, my BMW key.
I disagree, for me it's not overkill. I was keeping the remote opener in the front compartment of the bike prior to this. I want to come around the block and simply have the door open when I pull onto my driveway. Fumbling with opening and closing that compartment is a distraction. Reaching in a pocket to try and find the open button is also a distraction. Velcroing the remote to the bike is going to leave adhesive and look ugly. To me, this is the best solution. I can open the garage door without taking my right hand off the throttle and I don't become distracted. All new cars and trucks come with built in garage door openers, why should bikes be any different?

·
Registered
2021 R1250 RT
112 Posts
My garage opens with a special verbal code that I speak into my Cardo, to phone, to the garage receiver.

Don't tell anyone, but the code words are "Open Sesame".
Actually I'm wondering if I could do that via Alexa or "hey Siri" as I've just replaced the garage door opener that allows that.

A quick check shows me that while it's BlueTooth and WiFi enabled, it's integration with things like Apple HomeKit or Amazon is not there. Google Assistant is a possibility though. I will have to play around with it.

Reactions: Audi403

·
Registered
521 Posts
Actually I'm wondering if I could do that via Alexa or "hey Siri" as I've just replaced the garage door opener that allows that.

A quick check shows me that while it's BlueTooth and WiFi enabled, it's integration with things like Apple HomeKit or Amazon is not there. Google Assistant is a possibility though. I will have to play around with it.
I have a Meross Garage Door Opener that is HomeKit compatible.

I just say into my headset “Hey Siri, open garage door” and it opens. No button pressing needed.

·
Registered
2019 R1250RT
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh man, you guys really one upped me. I never even thought about that! I have MyQ which works with a bunch of smart apps. I'll have to play with it when I get home from work. I can probably open mine on a voice command too :-I

·
Registered
2019 R1250RT
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll still use the push button I installed as it's easier than holding the two buttons on my Cardo to activate a voice command. But had I thought of that before, I probably wouldn't have bothered.

·
Registered
2012 R1200RT
40 Posts
I have used the push button mod on my last three bikes and it works great. While opening it with a voice command would be very cool, my experience with voice commands and apps have been inconsistent at best. The push button always works. The hardest part for me is soldering wires into the PCB in the remote. I don't do it often enough to get any good at it🙁

·
Premium Member
6,160 Posts
I am glad that I have been following this thread quietly! I also have MyQ installed . . . .

Reactions: Audi403

·
Registered
2019 R1250RT
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have used the push button mod on my last three bikes and it works great. While opening it with a voice command would be very cool, my experience with voice commands and apps have been inconsistent at best. The push button always works. The hardest part for me is soldering wires into the PCB in the remote. I don't do it often enough to get any good at it🙁
I'm not great at it either. Had to do it in one of my classes in college but that was almost ten years ago and I lost the touch lol.

I am glad that I have been following this thread quietly! I also have MyQ installed . . . .
Seems to work hands free with my Android. My coworker tried with his iPhone and wasn't able to activate Google Assistant without manually opening the app each time. Probably other ways to do it though.

Agreed, but velcroing the remote INTO the front compartment, specifically onto the lid from the inside, makes everything neat and accessible. Admittedly the remote has to be small. I got one about 50x25x8 mm that fits neatly.
Yeah that makes sense. I was keeping mine in the front compartment minus the velcro. Just found it a bit distracting opening the compartment to get to the button while riding.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My plan/idea is to use the spare circuit on my CANsmart. I would use a voltage divider to step down the output of the CANsmart to the same voltage as the remote's battery. Then tell the CANsmart it's a pair of lights, which I will configure to only come on when the brights are on. I'm assuming that the remote's button simply connects the circuit to the battery. If all goes to plan, the garage door will open when I flash the bright lights.

Does anyone have experience hacking something together with a CANsmart like this?

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
540 Posts
Just found it a bit distracting opening the compartment to get to the button while riding.
I sympathise with that. You could do a little blind practice with gloves on, I know it helped me to get to a point where I can do it within a 100 metres while finishing a turn, cancelling the indicator and turning on the other side and slowing down for my driveway. I do not consider myself all that dexterous :D

·
Premium Member
6,160 Posts
Agreed, but velcroing the remote INTO the front compartment, specifically onto the lid from the inside, makes everything neat and accessible. Admittedly the remote has to be small. I got one about 50x25x8 mm that fits neatly.
That is exactly what I have been doing for many years now, but it means that I have to come to a stop in front of my garage before opening up the cubby, and then open the garage door! It would be nice if I could simply command the door to open while I was a couple of houses down the block! ;)

·
Premium Member
6,160 Posts
. . . . .
Seems to work hands free with my Android. My coworker tried with his iPhone and wasn't able to activate Google Assistant without manually opening the app each time. Probably other ways to do it though.
. . . . .
It so happen that I have the "perfect" Android phone. "Perfect" because the Pixel phones have been the only phone that have had zero issues with connecting to this new generation of RT, right from the very start with the first release of the RT and its buggy software (buggy for others).

Reactions: dpickens

·
Premium Member
6,160 Posts
My plan/idea is to use the spare circuit on my CANsmart. I would use a voltage divider to step down the output of the CANsmart to the same voltage as the remote's battery. Then tell the CANsmart it's a pair of lights, which I will configure to only come on when the brights are on. I'm assuming that the remote's button simply connects the circuit to the battery. If all goes to plan, the garage door will open when I flash the bright lights.

Does anyone have experience hacking something together with a CANsmart like this?
Over the years, what I had been thinking about, but not too long or seriously, is to activate or push two buttons on the bike that isn't used together normally. That combined actions would fire a relay (very easy to come up with such circuit) that will connect power from the opener's battery to turn the opener on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Over the years, what I had been thinking about, but not too long or seriously, is to activate or push two buttons on the bike that isn't used together normally. That combined actions would fire a relay (very easy to come up with such circuit) that will connect power from the opener's battery to turn the opener on.
It would be nice if BMW just added Homelink to new bikes. Probably not in my lifetime.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts