BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2005 K1200LT
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went out and purchased a used bike dolly that you drive up on and then swing the bike around on. The bike's too heavy or my garage floor is too slippery and the bike just pushes the thing in front of it even with the dolly wheels locked.

I took one of the dolly caster units off to use under the center stand like one of those other roller dollies that allows you to rotate the bike on the dolly and the front wheel but the bike is too low on clearance and the center stand starts coming down and then just stops.

What kind of dollies do you use on this bike?

I know it has reverse, but my reverse module needs to be switched out so that's not an option right now.

Thanks,
Woody

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,070 Posts
Although it puts some stress on the center stand, I just drive in and deploy the stand. The floor is very smooth and I just press lightly on the top case to lift the front wheel and then push it around on the floor for a 180. It would be better to use two aluminum plates with some grease between them. For storing in the other garage, where I need side movement as well as a 180, I use a Park n Move dolly from Legal Speeding. LEGAL SPEEDING - Park-n-Move | Easily park and move your motorcycle anywhere in your garage

·
Registered
2005 K1200LT
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I can't afford the Park-n-Move right now so that's on my wish list. I guess I'll be manually backing her out for another couple of months...

Here's the dolly I bought. It's not assembled right now but you can get the gist of the set up (I took the one end dolly off to try and make it work like a Park-n-Move). Supposedly it works fine for a Goldwing, I don't know what the difference is between that and my bike.

As you can see, the base plate is higher then a Park-n-Move would be and I'm guessing the height is why the center stand won't go up (it starts but then gives up). I don't know whether there's any way to modify the one dolly so as to work like the Park-n-Move.

I have my suspension knob to the lowest setting for a soft comfortable ride. If I tighten up the suspension knob will that heighten the clearance under the bike possibly making this workable?

Thanks,
Woody

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,070 Posts
The suspension knob is not to have a hard or soft ride but rather place the bikes static "sag" near the middle of the suspension travel so you have equal movement up and down. So yes if you crank the pre load all the way CW you will raise the ride height of the bike and it will be easier to get it on the center stand.

Reactions: byekryam

·
Registered
2005 K1200LT
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reading a reply by Chukzelda about "My 2003 K1200LT seems lower than my 1999 K1200LT", his idea of using "a piece of wood to increase the height of the bike" gives me an idea. If I either roll my bike onto two pieces of 3/4" plywood each tire, or use two pieces of 3/4" plywood prior to the dollies to help lessen the height the tire has to clib onto these tall dollies, might just make the difference of being able to use this system either as it's intended or as a Park-n-Move.

·
Registered
2005 K1200LT
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The suspension knob is not to have a hard or soft ride but rather place the bikes static "sag" near the middle of the suspension travel so you have equal movement up and down. So yes if you crank the pre load all the way CW you will raise the ride height of the bike and it will be easier to get it on the center stand.
Ok, that may also help in this situation, but when I first got the bike, it was 3/4 of the way tightened and the suspension was very stiff (I'm guessing to hold extra weight - less spring travel?). But when I loosened it almost all the way down, it greatly softened the ride. Is this effect just a bi-product of weight distribution on the spring?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,070 Posts
If you loosened it then you have reduced the amount of travel left for large bumps and risk bottoming out the shock. Only way to know is to measure the static sag. Put the bike on the center stand and find a reference point between the frame and the rear drive. Then roll off the stand and have some one hold the bike while you measure the change in the aforementioned reference point. Ideal static (no loading) setting is about 35 mm. The travel range is 130 mm with half being 65, so when you enter a curve the subsequent loading will place it very close to 65 mm which will give you the most travel in both directions.

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
34 Posts
Guys, any of you ever used the "Park and Move" dolly. Product says its max capacity is 500lbs. I think (should check) my 2018 R1200RT weighs something close to 600lbs. Just wondering if there could be potential serious risk with this product .....

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,070 Posts
The Park-and-Move dolly I have is rated at 1,100 lbs. It is 1/4 inch thick steel.
Automotive tire Automotive design Font Wheel Bumper

Reactions: Remy

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
34 Posts
The Park-and-Move dolly I have is rated at 1,100 lbs. It is 1/4 inch thick steel.
Jseiler, all the "Park-and-Move" products that I see on line (Harbour Freight, Amazon, motorcycle websites...) are rated for 500 lbs. Do you have a photo to share, or say, a web link to a website at which this high rated product can be purchased? Thanks much!

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
I would be lost without my Park-N-Move. My driveway is steep, maybe 40 degree slope. There is no backing out of the garage on an LT. I use the Park-N-Move in the garage, spin her around, load up and depart. It also has a lifetime warranty.

·
Premium Member
7,850 Posts
Jseiler, all the "Park-and-Move" products that I see on line (Harbour Freight, Amazon, motorcycle websites...) are rated for 500 lbs. Do you have a photo to share, or say, a web link to a website at which this high rated product can be purchased? Thanks much!
Those are all made of Chinesium. You need the American made one that will take the weight.

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
34 Posts
I would be lost without my Park-N-Move. My driveway is steep, maybe 40 degree slope. There is no backing out of the garage on an LT. I use the Park-N-Move in the garage, spin her around, load up and depart. It also has a lifetime warranty.

Okay, seeing it! Looks very nice, compact, but quite expensive (in my mind)''' Also looking into the one sold at Harbor Freight Harbor Freight Tools – Quality Tools at Discount Prices Since 1977 . Though it is a larger product but with a bit more flexibility/maneuverability... So we shall see...Thanks much!!
Those are all made of Chinesium. You need the American made one that will take the weight.
Understood!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts