BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting the Gadget Guy GPS mount for my RT. I was wondering if anyone out there has this set up and can offer up a review on it. A few specific questions I have: 1) Does condensation (fog) get in behind the display screen on the dash after the neoprene seal has been broken for the GPS mount installation? 2) Is there any additional noises or rattling during riding due to the added mount? 3) Is there any additional flex or stress on the fairing or dash assembly due to the mount? 4) Can excess water get into the dash because of the mount? 5) Is the mount sturdy?
Here is the link to the GPS mount: http://www.gadgetguy.net/PhotoGallery/BMW_R1200RT_KitIX_EJII_BPII_Zumo/BMW_R1200RT_with_Zumo.html

It looks like a very good product, but for the price it's worth pinging for a review. Any comments on this would be helpful.
Thanks much.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Jay - I have installed one on my RT

1 - the Neoprene ring is just an aesthetic cover so you can not see the internals of the bike - a non-issue

2 - the mount as installed by instructions is absolutely rock solid, it becomes and integral part of the bike

3 - no additional stress - well designed

4 - was caught in light rain and this was not detected

5 - see #2

I ended up getting the black anodized version as it matches well with the dash.

Also recommend to remove the front fairing - it is only 4 bolts and it provides full access to the 3 e-clips holding the control panel to the bike and you do not have to fuss around with trying to sneak your hands in to remove and install.

Luis

·
Registered
262 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
You might also consider the RAM mounts. They also have a watertight case available for some units. Not sure about yours.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I attached his plate mount to the rod and then a ram ball to the plate to support a Garmin GPSMAP 378. That mounting method provides some soft movement for the GPS and thus helps absorb vibration and road shock. I think it was heck of a solid installation as compared to others I looked at and returned.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have this mount installed on my 06 RT and really love it. I have a zumo with xm antenna mounted on it. The mount installed as advertised and fit like a glove, no mods required, very well designed. I agree that fairing removal with 4 bolts much easier than instructions supplied. When installed it is very solid and I experience no vibration on the equipment mounted. This is saying alot considering the condition of our roads in Canada. The biggest deciding factor in choosing this mount over others was position. It provides a very comfortable visual position to the gps when riding, I barely look at my speedo anymore and just use speed of gps. Something to consider is what you will mount on it, some items if taller will limit the downward movement of your windshield. I have my XM antenna attached to a ram plate between gadgetguy mount and gps cradle. I can only drop my Vstream w/shield about 1/2 way. This not an issue for me since my height (6'2") means I like w/shield in full upright position anyway. I think the mount is over-priced but for me it was the best choice and I would do it again. In all I would highly recommend this mount.

Glenn

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GMG12RT said:
ISomething to consider is what you will mount on it, some items if taller will limit the downward movement of your windshield. I have my XM antenna attached to a ram plate between gadgetguy mount and gps cradle. I can only drop my Vstream w/shield about 1/2 way.

Glenn

Glenn, So will the stock windshield go all the way down with a Zumo mounted on the Gadget Guy Mount? Seems an aweful lot of money to spend on a mount that inhibits the use of the stock wind screen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If all you have on the mount is a gps, mounting it in the middle of the bar should let you have full w/shield movement. I have other things on the bar so my gps is mounted on the right side.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The Cyclegadget one is the Migsel one (it's identified as such on this page...)

Migsel's site has a much more complete description, which says it uses three existing screwholes, no drilling required. I'm about to order one of these for my Zumo 660 which arrives today.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts