BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Premium Member
2020 R1250RT Alpine White
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many others, I replaced my NAV VI in April after 8 months of ownership due to the display "ghosting" problem. Garmin shipped me a new "refresh" unit and I returned my malfunctioning set to them. The new box has been working fine ever since.

However, when I attempted to install the new Full Coverage North America map (2022.20) which was released a few weeks ago, Garmin Express wouldn't install it and indicated my refresh unit serial number was not authorized for lifetime maps. (It did give me the option to buy the map, which was not appealing to me! 馃榾)

After contacting Garmin, they determined that although the serial number of the new unit should have acquired the license rights of my returned box, a system problem (at Garmin) had prevented that. After three separate attempts at a manual resolution, they have assigned a case number and are trying to correct the problem.

Since this looks like an issue at their end with a replacement NAV VI unit I wanted to put up a post so that folks that have replaced their GPS can verify their lifetime map subscriptions are still recognized by Garmin Express and/or Garmin Map Install.

Larry

Registered
I just purchased a used Nav VI. I connected it to Garmin Express to register the unit and check for map and OS updates. It installed the latest OS (V 5.80), but doesn't show any info about the map version. I see no options for updating the maps.

BaseCamp tells me the map version is "City Navigator North America Nt 2020.1."

Does anyone have any clue about what's going on? Am I going to have to pay full price for a "new" Nav VI to get updated maps?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just purchased a used Nav VI. I connected it to Garmin Express to register the unit and check for map and OS updates. It installed the latest OS (V 5.80), but doesn't show any info about the map version. I see no options for updating the maps.

BaseCamp tells me the map version is "City Navigator North America Nt 2020.1."

Does anyone have any clue about what's going on? Am I going to have to pay full price for a "new" Nav VI to get updated maps?
David first I would recommend you check to see if your Garmin Express is up to date.

The lifetime maps subscription is non-transferable from one owner to another, but you should get the option (once Garmin Express recognizes the unit) to purchase maps I think.

I would contact Garmin if you don't see that option on Express. (I'm hard of hearing so I normally use the "chat now" option on support and get very quick service.)

Good luck -
Larry

Registered
Larry, thanks.
I contacted Garmin, and once I gave them the serial number, the tech rectified the problem (or enabled map updates), I restarted Garmin Express. It recognized the unit and out-of-date map, and I downloaded the latest map, 2022.2.

There was no question/comment about the map subscription being non-transferable. Maybe I got lucky. I don't think I'll go back to Garmin and argue about it. :rolleyes:

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Larry, thanks.
I contacted Garmin, and once I gave them the serial number, the tech rectified the problem (or enabled map updates), I restarted Garmin Express. It recognized the unit and out-of-date map, and I downloaded the latest map, 2022.2.

There was no question/comment about the map subscription being non-transferable. Maybe I got lucky. I don't think I'll go back to Garmin and argue about it. :rolleyes:
That is great news David! (I've never met anyone who had to pay, so maybe that line in their license is a just-in-case clause.)

Ride safe.
Larry

Registered
And it gets better...!
After reading about battery issues, I called Garmin and explained that my battery was only lasting about 10 min. After checking the serial number, they said the unit had been activated in 2018, so it was still under warranty. Replacement at no charge. The batteries are backordered, but they put in the order and I should get a new one mid Sept.

This is what I call great customer service.

Registered
The Nav VI has lifetime maps included for the market where it is sold, ie NA, EU, etc.

The subscription being non transferable only apply to extra maps purchased separately. Those maps are associated with the device's serial number and can't be transferred unless Garmin resets the install.
Lifetime also used to be available as an upgrade for non lifetime gps.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Nav VI has lifetime maps included for the market where it is sold, ie NA, EU, etc.

The subscription being non transferable only apply to extra maps purchased separately. Those maps are associated with the device's serial number and can't be transferred unless Garmin resets the install.
Lifetime also used to be available as an upgrade for non lifetime gps.
Maybe your laws/license are different in Canada, here's the link to the Garmin License here in the US. (The last sentence is the operative one.)

Larry

Registered
Maybe your laws/license are different in Canada, here's the link to the Garmin License here in the US. (The last sentence is the operative one.)

Larry
Sorry for the misunderstanding, I'm aware of Garmin's T&C. LOL

My reply was regarding licenses being non transferable. Obviously, you can't transfer the lifetime map included in a device. Extra maps and lifetime licences are separate purchases and can be installed on one device only.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for the misunderstanding, I'm aware of Garmin's T&C. LOL

My reply was regarding licenses being non transferable. Obviously, you can't transfer the lifetime map included in a device. Extra maps and lifetime licences are separate purchases and can be installed on one device only.

Thanks Pat, it was my misunderstanding and this clears it up!

Ride safe,
Larry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts