BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read an article in the new Cycle World mag. that stated this bike was "discontinued", being replaced by the K1600. Is this true?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
What we know...
There is no 2011 K1200LT.
There are two new models being released ... the K1600GT and K1600GTL. (Checkout the new K1600GT/GTL subforum.)

Some think the GTL replaces the LT, others are holding onto the dream that there will be a new K1600LT in the future.

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
What we know...
There are two new models being released ... the K1600GT and K1600GTL. (Checkout the new K1600GT/GTL subforum.)

Some think the GTL replaces the LT, others are holding onto the dream that there will be a new K1600LT in the future.
There was no new 2010 LT either. The last production was MY2009 in calender year 2008.

·
Registered
231 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
What we know...

Well put, Joe
There are many of us that dream of K1600LT, a fully loaded tourer.
BJ

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
The future KLT.....

Ok, my considered opinon, which of course isn't worth dung....
but I did stay home last night and didn't waste any money in some bedbug infested hotel....
the K1600GTL is a place holder for the next LT.....
(yeah, I know some folks hate the "....." thing; deal with it......)

BMW will introduce next year, or the year after that, or..... sometime after that.... a KLT based on the 6 cylinder engine which they copied the basic design of a Honda CB750, and the styling will look like a Japanese Anime cartoon, just like the current BMW offerings do.

BUT it will handle like a BMW (which has always been above the pack) and will be the touring bike of the future, just like the K1200LT has been for more than a decade.

Check out the prices on low mileage, low priced, K1200LTs presently. Holy Moly, you can get a $20,000 motorcycle with less than 10K miles for less than $10K these days. If I didn't have a perfectly good 2000 K1200LT with 82,000+ miles, I'd buy one of the bikes posted on this site's classifed board.

I'm very happy that those who would have the "next greatest and bestest" will shell out the bucks for a K1600GTL. But there's more bike for the money in a used K1200LT by a long shot.

So, in short, no the KLT isn't dead.... wait until BMW decides it has run the profits out of the K1200GLT and they'll introduce the next LT.....
you heard it here first! :histerica

·
Premium Member
7,594 Posts
Re: The future KLT.....

CharlieVT said:
Ok, my considered opinon, which of course isn't worth dung....
but I did stay home last night and didn't waste any money in some bedbug infested hotel....
the K1600GTL is a place holder for the next LT.....
(yeah, I know some folks hate the "....." thing; deal with it......)

BMW will introduce next year, or the year after that, or..... sometime after that.... a KLT based on the 6 cylinder engine which they copied the basic design of a Honda CB750, and the styling will look like a Japanese Anime cartoon, just like the current BMW offerings do.

BUT it will handle like a BMW (which has always been above the pack) and will be the touring bike of the future, just like the K1200LT has been for more than a decade.

Check out the prices on low mileage, low priced, K1200LTs presently. Holy Moly, you can get a $20,000 motorcycle with less than 10K miles for less than $10K these days. If I didn't have a perfectly good 2000 K1200LT with 82,000+ miles, I'd buy one of the bikes posted on this site's classifed board.

I'm very happy that those who would have the "next greatest and bestest" will shell out the bucks for a K1600GTL. But there's more bike for the money in a used K1200LT by a long shot.

So, in short, no the KLT isn't dead.... wait until BMW decides it has run the profits out of the K1200GLT and they'll introduce the next LT.....
you heard it here first! :histerica
That is probably true ... at least dung can be used as fertilizer! :rotf:

And several others have already forecast a real 1600LT so I don't think you can claim to be first at this juncture. :)

I do hope though that you and the others are correct, but I am in no hurry as my 07 has only 22,000 miles and should be good for at least 7 years or so. That should give BMW plenty of time to run the profits out of the GTL!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts