BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Niksons said:
I didn't get - is it legal in US or it is soooo outlaw...
Its not legal, nor illegal in California, where the video was shot..

California Lane Splitting: Not referenced in Administrative Code or Statutes

Nevada Lane Splitting: Prohibited; NRS 486.351

Utah Lane Splitting: Prohibited; 41-6a-1502

Idaho Lane Splitting: Not referenced in Administrative Code or Statutes

Oregon Lane Splitting: Prohibited; O.R.S. 814.240

Arizona Lane Splitting: 28-903. Operation of motorcycle on laned roadway; exceptions B. The operator of a motorcycle shall not overtake and pass in the same lane occupied by the vehicle being overtaken. C. A person shall not operate a motorcycle between the lanes of traffic or between adjacent rows of vehicle

Reference link

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ghgh
That's just how I ride every day :cool:

I mean, USA cops will kill themselves if they will see how they ride in Italy :bike:

·
Registered
912 Posts
California riders go it often, thought probably not on GTL, LT or GW. Mariposa Co. AZ was or did experiment with it. Not sure how that went. Phoenix area is one of the few places with enough traffic to matter.

I suspect it helps to be in an all year riding location so the drivers never forget.

Most of my CA buds do it only when traffic is stopped to get to the head of the traffic line.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My daily commute is around 37 miles each way on southern California Freeway's.
I would guess I average about 1/8 - 1/5 of my week splitting lanes. If a Chippy fits the LT does too!

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,176 Posts
I split lanes on a daily basis with the LT.
Not sure why this is in the humor section... :confused:

·
IBR# 366
16,574 Posts
What do they mean "sped up 4x"? That looks like normal speed to me . . . :D

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,176 Posts
meese said:
What do they mean "sped up 4x"? That looks like normal speed to me . . . :D
Now it belongs in the Humor section! :D

·
Registered
253 Posts
I lane split every day for approx 20 mins each way on my LT. It was a difficult learning experience and I find most other large bikes also lane split better than me. I am generally the slowest one while lane splitting. I believe the LT can do just fine while splitting, but I am still learning and trying to get better.

·
Registered
493 Posts
LTFan said:
I lane split every day for approx 20 mins each way on my LT. It was a difficult learning experience and I find most other large bikes also lane split better than me. I am generally the slowest one while lane splitting. I believe the LT can do just fine while splitting, but I am still learning and trying to get better.
I'm with you on the learning curve and I know its me and not the bike. I may never be able to judge the space between the openings well enough split reliably. I don't think I'll ever be able to do what those guys are doing on the video. I hate it when I make contact with my "breakaway" mirrors and someone else's. Besides the obvious intrusion on another person's space, the mirror will break that front mounting point almost every time it's hit in that direction. Needless to say, once I did that I got very shy about trying it again. There has to be a nice open space for me to venture into it now. It's strange how some days everyone seems to just make it easy and on others, it's next to impossible. Luckily, with the new HOV lanes in San Diego, I rarely spend any time stuck in traffic.

Thanks,

·
Registered
453 Posts
After all the comments about the various states banning filtering (Lane Splitting) makes me glad to be in Belgium.

Previously it was done, but never mentioned in the law. That has now been amended. The law states that you can filter if you are travelling within 20 kmph of the other traffic & under 50 kmph. However I am the slowest person while filtering - A colleague of mine has topped over 100kmph in the traffic!

I think it is all down to the safety margin every one has. I spent a number of years off the bike, so my reactions are slowed. That and the desire to get back to wife & kids means I have a rather wide safety margin, so I do not travel as fast nor go through gaps as perhaps I could.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Found out the other day that the mirrors pop off pretty easy when you misjudge a little bit. :( Luckily, they pop back on just as easy. :)

I heard the the lane splitting was originally allowed for the air-cooled cruisers so they wouldn't overheat in typical California traffic. Haven't verified that, but it does make sense to me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts