BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leaving tomorrow for a bike trip to Denver to see kids and grandkids. The weather looks great all the way... Unemployment has a bright side :).

But I am still looking for a job, if yea know of one...

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Praying for safe travels and a wonderful time with the kids/grandkids.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Wolfgang, have a safe trip. Watch out for the high winds in the panhandle over into northern New Mexico.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bruce said:
Wolfgang, have a safe trip. Watch out for the high winds in the panhandle over into northern New Mexico.
Yes, I experienced the winds. Going 80mph in 36 degree weather with strong gusts makes for an interesting ride. But all is well and it was a great ride! :)

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Wolfgang said:
Yes, I experienced the winds. Going 80mph in 36 degree weather with strong gusts makes for an interesting ride. But all is well and it was a great ride! :)
Good to hear all is well and you arrived safely. Enjoy your mini-vacation.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
We may not have a lot in common but we do have faint similarities.
Kids/grandkids to the north/west ----mine kids/grands southeast NC
Out of work ---- same here; only retired after 34years then worked the immediate next 3 and now free to ride.
I have been out west twice in conventional vechicles (cars and moving truck to Vegas) but I will be feeding the hunger when I venture out there this spring/summer. I did once ride Chicago - St Louis - Columbia MO. - Kansas City and back on a KZ1000 shaft drive back in '80 but I am looking foward to beyond that via route 66. Right now I am weaning myself off winter reading these posts waiting on mid - April.
ride safe

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
PS: I now ride a k1200lt which I already rode to NC and have a Goldwing '85 which has taken me to Cincinatti several times for the jazz fest and to other parts of Ohio when I had a job and could not go far.
ride safe

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Been here many times before, but I am still in awe of the great rides.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Hey, Wolfgang, glad you had a safe ride up. Enjoy the family and the good riding.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just want to share my latest farkel with you.Yes, I am very proud of my grandson, an all around great kid. Some of you may remember that I took him on a thousend mile bike ride thu the south (Houston to Atlanta with detours and no interstate) almost two years ago. He still grins when we talk about it and he wants to go again :)

Oh, and it is lighly snowing now... Tomorow is supossed to be great and I plan to head into the mountains for a day.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DanMartin said:
Nice Texas flag
Thanks! Classis BMW in Dallas used to put one on every new BMW car they sold. Very nicely made of metal and enamel. Not sure if they still do it... I talked them into giving me one years ago.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Made it home safely, tired, and sunburned in the face last night. Total trip 2,490 miles Houston to Denver and back and several side trips in Colorado.

Highlights:

* Taking my grandsons Connor,7 and Maddox,5 on their first motor cycle ride around the block.

* An early morning ride from Denver on 285 south to County Road 196, and State Road 67 to Woodland Park. I saw just a few locals, a FedEx truck and no bikes at all. All the expected mountain back road dangers, such as lots of gravel and sand, fresh rock slides, and plenty of deer. But the sights on a clear early morning are absolutely amazing.

* The temperature variations were difficult to cope with. High on the way out: Amarillo 95, and low Boise City, OK 32. On the way back west of Hays, KS the low was 28, and the high in the DFW area was 94.

All in all, a lone road trip is good for the soul and it makes you appreciate your family and your home when you arrive.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Glad you had a 'clear out the cobwebs' wonderful trip, Wolfgang. Startin' those two youngun's out on the right path - I remember the one you did coupla years ago, (wuz he 12 or orlder?) and the two of you had a blast.

No issues with the bike, and that's some more good news. Hope to see you in Driftwood on the 16th. Take care.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dick said:
Glad you had a 'clear out the cobwebs' wonderful trip, Wolfgang. Startin' those two youngun's out on the right path - I remember the one you did coupla years ago, (wuz he 12 or orlder?) and the two of you had a blast.

No issues with the bike, and that's some more good news. Hope to see you in Driftwood on the 16th. Take care.
My brother arrives from Germany on the 15th, lets see if I can get him to ignore jet-lag and come along with me.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Welcome Home, Wolfgang! Glad to hear that your trip was fun and most of all relaxing.

Get your name on the April 16th RTE list. We want to see you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts