BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I would do this today since it finally warmed up a bit, was 38 F.

I had purchased all the stuff needed from beemer boneyard, as well as some metal QDs and some new rear brake pads.

FIrst issue was while doing the QD, I noticed a couple problems with the fuel lines. One of the short ones had a flat spot on it from where it was rubbing against the engine. One of the long ones that goes across the top of the motor had something rubbing on it, I don't know what, but it was almost all the way through.So off to NAPA to pick up some fuel line. Wow did price of that stuff go up!! Anyway, I replaced three of the four fuel lines, bonus for this was I didn't have to pry out the old plastic QDs! Since the new fuel line is not pre-formed, I had to make the loops a little bigger, I am not sure I like how they are sitting, so tomorrow I will put some rubber between them to protect from rubbing.

Oil change, coolant change, final drive, tranny, spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter all went fine, valves are still in spec. However when taking things apart to drain the tranny, I found the exhaust bracket is broken. I am going to bring it to a buddies house tommorow to see if he can weld it.

I did start her up to make sure there were no leaks, all is well. Tomorrow after getting the bracket welded I will put it all back together and maybe even go for a ride! It will be in the 30's again tomorrow.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Sound like a good day's work!
Well done.

Bill

·
Registered
142 Posts
Tony, you're ready to ride! I have ordered material for 36K maintenance from the Boneyard and hopefully done in a week or two.

Keep the rubber on the road

Arthur..

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Good going Guys, getting ready for the season. :thumb:
I do all my maintenace in the Fall so I can just start 'em up in the spring. But still haven't been out on the road. Pretty soon, any day now I'll get a bike out, but still lots of salt and sand on the roads. And mud season going strong. Meanwhile gathering sap from the Maple trees.

(That just gave me an idea..... I'm considering running Pure Vermont Maple Syrup in my final drive for gear lube. That just might be the secret ingredent in preventing final drive failures. I mean, I've never heard of someone who was running maple syrup in their final drive having a failure, so it must be good, huh? Syrup has a pretty good color and consistency compared to dino GL but smells and tastes lots better.) :histerica

Looking forward to seeing you guys on the road this summer.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Good job Tony. I did all my stuff over a 2 month period with the wood stove going in the shop. Have had 2 good rides so far this year but a lot of sand and gravel on the curves, be careful out there.

Curtis, let us know the MTBF on final drives using maple syrup, can you formulate a synthetic version? :histerica

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the exhaust bracket welded this morning. Put the bike all back together, no extra screws. For those that are intimidated with the tupperware, it gets easier and easier each time, it took me less than forty minutes from when I started to when I had the gas tank off yesterday.

No ride today, have to work on the daughters car now. Hopefully tomorrow.

I figure with all I did to the bike the past two days, I probably saved close to $1K over what the dealer would have charged.

Curtis - I like the syrup Idea, adn I am sure it would work, why else would there be different grades of syrup?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Man! You guys need to move to where the weather is more conducive to riding motorcycles! I think we had 3 days this year when the weather was too iffy to ride so I drove the truck to work.

Lots of liquid sunshine this time of year but nothing to get your panties in a wad over!

Be careful out there you Nor'Easters! Sunny days + sandy roads = motorcycle hell!

Loren

1 - 8 of 8 Posts