BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just purchased my first BMW bike a couple of weeks ago, a 2011 RT1200RT, and this question has lingered; What the heck is with the ugly rear fender that is filled with extra holes?

I mean, the rest of the bike is so sleek looking, then there is this rear fender. I can live with the fuggliness, but what is with the extra holes? I understand what the four holes for the license plate, but all the holes (think there is four counting the rectangular holes in the lower right and left corners) below?

I would love to be enlightened regarding the rear fender.

Casey

·
Registered
492 Posts
I think its to allow for different size number plates,in the uk we have a larger plate than some other countries including yours I think.There are no holes visable on mine with the plate on I supose they make one fender for the rt no matter which country it ends up in.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Some of the holes will accommodate the plug in BMW accessory tail lamp that is on the cop bikes but can be fitted to any model. About $150, it flashes briefly before going fixed when braking plus adds another running light.
The slots on the outside hold a BMW fender extender piece. Provides a bit more spray protection at rear. About $40. Can also hold an additional reflector or BMW logo badge if you prefer.

See any dealer for the above or look in the online parts catalogs.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Some of the holes also accomodate the BMW accessory fender extender -- a worthwhile, and relatively cheap, upgrade BTW.

The rest of the holes never bothered me -- covered by MOA, RA, etc. stickers

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Those holes are soon to be filled with one of those BMW rear extra LED lamps for me. I have been looking at Hyperlights which are great, but suckering into the fancy Cop rear light for a clean look. This is a bike I ride in the rain a lot so I too will buy the fender extender that use to come with the bike but now is an cash extra. (light # is 6300 0445 578)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, love the bike, was just curious about the rear fender. So BMW makes the extender? Do they make one for the front as well?

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
kctay said:
Thanks all, love the bike, was just curious about the rear fender. So BMW makes the extender? Do they make one for the front as well?
Nope, but they are available in the aftermarket, and many/most BMW shops carry or can order them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A flat peice of plastic for $33.00? I'm not cheap, but that is ridiculous. :mad:

I think I'll get a black anodized peice of aluminum, and make my own.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
kctay said:
A flat peice of plastic for $33.00? I'm not cheap, but that is ridiculous. :mad:

Welcome to the world of BMW accessories! :histerica

Seriously, the reason that the BMW RT rear flap was worth it to me is that it is exactly sized and curved to fit the supporting slots at the side of the rear fender, already has the multi-step ridge allowing you to install the flap at any of several heights, and has the right size bolt hole in the right place.

The fact is you're not paying for the $0.40 of plastic, you're paying for BMW's having done the design and procurement work to provide a variable-height flap that exactly matches this application. Is that design and procurement work worth $33? BMW thinks so, and in view of the ongoing sales volume, it appears that they have no need to adjust the price. Do I expect you to think so? No way -- that's your personal value choice to make, and I would not presume to tell you otherwise.

Certainly, anyone can self-manufacture there own equivalent, but in my case (and even given the cheap bast### I am), given my limited spare time, the amount of time it would have taken me to make a decent-looking version would not have been worth the few bux I'd have saved -- not to mention that it is the rare artisan than can craft such a piece and end up with a product that doesn't look like it was a jury-rigged effort made by someone that just didn't want to pony up $33 :D

·
Registered
929 Posts
Casey...welcome to the forum and congratulations on a very important lesson learned...BMW=bring more wallet.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mark,

I don't do "jerry rigged", and it's the point really. I don't mind over paying for just about anything BMW, because I see some value. But this piece of plastic? Oh, with a strategically placed pre-drilled hole? :histerica

Furthermore, I don't think anything "jerry rigged" could make that fuggly rear fender any fugglier! ;)

However, saying all that, I just got done ordering the BMW one since my local dealer didn't have one... :D

Tail bag is next.....

·
Registered
726 Posts
BMW=bring more wallet. :histerica
Best one yet :rotf:

·
Registered
472 Posts
None of the holes are used for the accessory LED taillight. It has four holes which match up to the US spec license tags.

BTW, I really like the taillight. There are no instructions in the box, so I'll post a few hints. The plug connectors in the kit go into the left rear accessory plug wiring. Separate the factory plug and insert the parts from the kit. Easy. The other wire with the bent looking connector goes to the positive wire from the brake light. Remove the brake light lens by unscrewing the two screws facing the front of the bike on the outside edge of the light. Either brake bulb will work. Brown is the ground; you want the other. Remove the wire from the bulb socket and plug the kit's connector to the one on the socket. The hot wire goes into the kit's connector. Pretty slick, actually, once I figured it out. The socket that goes to the lamp has to be routed through the bottom of the "trunk" area. Look from underneath the fender and you'll see where. Drill up from the bottom. I also drilled though the plastic fender extension behind the license plate. There's an indent from the factory that'll show you where. I filled the open space in the trunk floor with some wadded up Scotchbrite pad; keeps the water out but won't get rotten if wet. Difficulty level is a 3/

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
kctay said:

They were only 7 bucks a couple of years ago but the price of oil....I recommend for your aluminum source a beer can of choice and trim it up. Light weight. :rotf:

·
Registered
391 Posts
beech said:
Those holes are soon to be filled with one of those BMW rear extra LED lamps for me. I have been looking at Hyperlights which are great, but suckering into the fancy Cop rear light for a clean look. This is a bike I ride in the rain a lot so I too will buy the fender extender that use to come with the bike but now is an cash extra. (light # is 6300 0445 578)
Me too. European plates need more mounting space. Put a reflector on it or 2. and do the hyper lites!

·
Registered
98 Posts
GRB60 said:
None of the holes are used for the accessory LED taillight. It has four holes which match up to the US spec license tags.

BTW, I really like the taillight. There are no instructions in the box, so I'll post a few hints. The plug connectors in the kit go into the left rear accessory plug wiring. Separate the factory plug and insert the parts from the kit. Easy. The other wire with the bent looking connector goes to the positive wire from the brake light. Remove the brake light lens by unscrewing the two screws facing the front of the bike on the outside edge of the light. Either brake bulb will work. Brown is the ground; you want the other. Remove the wire from the bulb socket and plug the kit's connector to the one on the socket. The hot wire goes into the kit's connector. Pretty slick, actually, once I figured it out. The socket that goes to the lamp has to be routed through the bottom of the "trunk" area. Look from underneath the fender and you'll see where. Drill up from the bottom. I also drilled though the plastic fender extension behind the license plate. There's an indent from the factory that'll show you where. I filled the open space in the trunk floor with some wadded up Scotchbrite pad; keeps the water out but won't get rotten if wet. Difficulty level is a 3/
I just got an auxiliary light yesterday and as mentioned....no instructions.
The writer of the above quote gave a very good dissertation on installation.
I am not sure, however, of the place to drill up thru the bottom of the fender. It's infered that there is a spot intended for a hole for the cable to be fed thru but it's not obvious to me.
Any further info or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
After taking off my bags and seat and looking at the trunk area it was pretty obvious where the hole should be drilled.
The connecting of the cables was also obvious after looking at what already existed.
Have it all back together and IT WORKS!
Looks like it should be a worthwhile addition.

·
Registered
17 Posts
vulcan said:
I just got an auxiliary light yesterday and as mentioned....no instructions.
The writer of the above quote gave a very good dissertation on installation.
I am not sure, however, of the place to drill up thru the bottom of the fender. It's infered that there is a spot intended for a hole for the cable to be fed thru but it's not obvious to me.
Any further info or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

That spot for the hole appears to be on the right rear corner under the seat. It's circular and somewhat "weak" in the center so it looked like a drill-out area. It's a tight spot in there. Maybe the size of a nickel. You'll know it by the ridge. If it had hair on it it would be easier to find. :)

| -------| Front ^
|------- |
|------o | Rear

Or I drilled a hole there for no reason.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I totally Agree. That is why I pimped my up!:histerica

I added a fender extension, BMW Roundel, Thin Black License Plate Frame, Springloaded Plate Holder Reflectors and the BMW Flashing LED Suplemental Brake Light.

I think it looks finished now and much better!:D

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 RT
188 Posts
I can't figure the purpose with the two holes either.....

..must be one :(

God Bless America,
pipestone

1 - 20 of 26 Posts