BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we are told to only fuel using the side stand but I wonder why? The bike is much more stable on the center stand and much easier to get on and off. Is the reason for using the side stand only to get a little more fuel in or is there another reason?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
You are correct

sidestand will let you put more gas in. Do what makes you feel comfortable.

jniemuth said:
I know we are told to only fuel using the side stand but I wonder why? The bike is much more stable on the center stand and much easier to get on and off. Is the reason for using the side stand only to get a little more fuel in or is there another reason?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,792 Posts
Its not what stand you fuel on that affects gas mileage but rather how you twist your wrist.:D

·
Registered
495 Posts
I use the centerstand when I'm around home & gas is easy to get, and the sidestand when I'm on the road and the next gas station is 200 miles away..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like others have said here, my bike seems to really lean over on the sidestand. Almost to a point that I don't trust it.

I am sure it won't fall over, but it scares by just the same.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
jniemuth said:
Like others have said here, my bike seems to really lean over on the sidestand. Almost to a point that I don't trust it.

I am sure it won't fall over, but it scares by just the same.

Oh no...of course not...there has NEVER been an LT that fell while on the sidestand! :histerica

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Sidestand

Using the sidestand allows at least an extra gallon in, which equates to an additional 40-45 miles before next stop.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
If you don't need the MAXIMUM fuel capicity, then keep doing what you're doing. But in '05 traveling through Wyoming, I nearly ran out of fuel with the LT. Thank God I filled her to the brim at the previous fuel stop.

Had the same experience in New Mexico with the GT a few weeks ago. I put 6.27 gallons of fuel in it when I finally reached a gas station. Talk about running on fumes! Whew!
That was a close one. (Did I forget to mention for the last 60 miles I set the cruise control at 63mph with the windscreen all the way DOWN? :eek: Not fun.)

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,157 Posts
messenger13 said:
(Did I forget to mention for the last 60 miles I set the cruise control at 63mph with the windscreen all the way DOWN? :eek: Not fun.)
Come on Joe, by now you shouldn't be scared of that high speed on your GT. They are designed to go THAT fast!:histerica

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
zippy_gg said:
Come on Joe, by now you shouldn't be scared of that high speed on your GT. They are designed to go THAT fast!:histerica

ok, that gets my vote for #2 on best post list

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
messenger13 said:
If you don't need the MAXIMUM fuel capicity, then keep doing what you're doing. But in '05 traveling through Wyoming, I nearly ran out of fuel with the LT. Thank God I filled her to the brim at the previous fuel stop.

Had the same experience in New Mexico with the GT a few weeks ago. I put 6.27 gallons of fuel in it when I finally reached a gas station. Talk about running on fumes! Whew!
That was a close one. (Did I forget to mention for the last 60 miles I set the cruise control at 63mph with the windscreen all the way DOWN? :eek: Not fun.)

Hehe, Joe, been there done that in New Mexico last year too. I was getting nervous keep seeing signs gas ahead, but the stations were boarded up. You know those gas stations that say last chance gas for 50 miles, and your computer says your gas range is 40 miles. What saved me was I was comming *down* out of the moutains.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Side stand

The side stand is very "squishy" on the LT. It feels like it's gonna go over every time I get off riding 2 up. It seems like it leans further than most bikes and the side stand is so short. Anyone ever have the side stand collapse? :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
hardly ever use the center stand except to work on bike

When stopping, I always simply LEAVE the bike in first and swing down the side stand to cut the ignition. Depending on the possible slope, I then roll it either forwards or backwards till it stops. Hate to say this, but after 28,000 miles, never had it fall over......

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I owned the LT...used the sidestand every time I dismounted. Heard mobs of people whine about it. Never "got it". :confused:

I now own the new GT...I use the centerstand every time I dismount. Mobs of people are whining about that sidestand. I still don't "get it". :confused:

Perhaps I should open a school for those who don't understand proper sidestand use. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts