BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The LT is somewhat erratic after fuel fill-up. Meaning it will not idle properly and will deaccelerte at highway for about twenty miles. Additionally the gage will indicate more fuel than is in the tank. This all happens immediately after fillup. I am not over fiiling the tank. Any ideas is helpfull.

jim

Thus far this is the least reliable bike I have owned, including American made.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Year, miles, last maint>?

Is charcoal canister still present?

·
Registered
242 Posts
More information please. Also, what other problems have you had?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did not mean to leave out any information. All maintenance is up to date, the bike is 2005. The fuel filter was changed the proper mileage. The bike has about 50k miles, the fuel pump was replaced at about 45k and I changed the fuel filter a second time.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
OK it's a 2005 Bmw ??? Lt, Rt, Gs.???
He said it was an LT first post. I had something like that once when I overfilled the tank. I couldn't even start it until it exess drained out of the overflow hose. Perhaps that's clogged or pinched when he put it back together. He didn't mention if he had the canisterectomy done or not.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Did you try leaving the gas cap loose or off when you drive it after a fill up? If the problem goes away with the gas cap loose or off, then your tank vent line to the charcoal canister has fuel in it, and you need to get rid of the canister, or at the very least, trace the vent line down as far as you can, cut it so it pokes out the bottom of the bike, this is a common venting on many other bikes, then plug the other side of the hose with a screw, will solve the issue.. Also the bad reading on the fuel gauge can be caused by fuel getting into the vent line, causing the tank to collapse, which can crush or dent the tube the fuel float is in inside the tank, not allowing the float to move freely, causing erroneous readings on the fuel gauge...My guess?? fuel in the vent line

·
Registered
230 Posts
The LT is somewhat erratic after fuel fill-up. Meaning it will not idle properly and will deaccelerte at highway for about twenty miles. Additionally the gage will indicate more fuel than is in the tank. This all happens immediately after fillup. I am not over fiiling the tank. Any ideas is helpfull.

jim

Thus far this is the least reliable bike I have owned, including American made.
ANY UPDATE???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts