1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new to BMW bikes.

Own a 1999 1200LT for 2 weeks now.

When I drove the bike home (200 miles), the fuel gauge seem to sit on FULL when I filled the bike.

Today I was mostly riding in traffic, the bike said it has 170 miles range & the gauge pointed to 3/4 full.

Went to fill it up, sat on the bike (to level it so it will be completely full), but it only took 59 cents before it started to overfill. The gauge was still NOT on the FULL mark.

Why is the gauge indicating the bike is 3/4 full when it is completely full? The gauge seemed to work when I made the 200 mile trip less than 12 days ago.

I also noticed the Temp gauge would go up to as high as 3/4 when in stop & go traffic, is that normal ??

Then it dropped to 1/2 or slightly higher than half when I was going at good speed.

Are these things normal for this bike ?

Is there anything I need to check or am I doing something wrong here ?

Thank you so much.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
The temp gauge will rise close to the red and when the fan kicks on it will go back down to a more normal range, after 74,000 it still freaks me out to see that thing go high! :eek:

I have always filled the bike straight up and on the bike, don't know much about your fuel gauge!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
The temp gauge thing is normal, not to worry. Fill the fuel on the side stand. You may have a sticking float on the fuel gauge tube? This can come from having a clogged vapor recovery canister which causes a vacuum in the tank and crushes the fuel gauge tube. Do you hear a vacuum release when you open the fuel cap after running a while?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Like others have said, the temperature gauge is normal. If you listen, you can hear the fans come on, lower the temperature and shut off. Just so long as it's not in the "red".

Fuel gauge also sounds pretty normal to me, even with 170 MTE at 3/4. My owner's manual does say to fill it on the sidestand.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts