BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I replaced the fuel filter and was kind of wondering just how much pressure to put on the locking ring to hold the filter in place when tightening. I removed it by tapping one of the lugs with a piece of wood and a hammer, it came off pretty easy. When I re-installed I hit it hard enough that the lug broke off, (not to worry, there are lots to use). Does anyone just hand tighten it, I'm a little concerned with leeks.

By the way, I was amazed at the gunk that came out of the intake side of the fuel filter, makes it seem like it was a worthwhile job.

Ron

·
Registered
166 Posts
I bought myself a tool from Cdn Tire which has a rubber band similar to some oil filter wrenches. Worked great!! I put a liitle vaseline on the threads and just snugged the collar up. :dance:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,908 Posts
Most have used strap wrenches and give it a good tug. They did up the torque value for this in a bulletin from 30Nm to 40Nm. Just make sure the gasket surface is clean and seated then unsert the pump assy. I usually put a little lube around the edge of the metal pump flange so the nut slides easily over it. That reduces the tendency for it to rotate out of alignment when honking down with the strap wrench.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
strap wrench...now why didn't I think of that...thanks guys

Ron

·
Miles of Smiles
1,052 Posts
The strap wrench works well. Bit late after you have it apart, but if you mark the ring nut and tank first, then tighten back to the same mark, seems to work OK. May have missed the latest update, but I seem to recall the torque value went up from 30 Nm to 70 Nm. Huge increase with no change in hardware or fittings. Lube is also a good idea. Cheers

·
Registered
321 Posts
They use the same type of "nut" on alot of cars. There is a universal tool that is adjustable for width that is available through a good auto parts store. If I remember they are $12-$18. It is very close to the BMW tool that I had already purchased. I just really like to have the correct tool. I know it takes 2 people to tighten the nut to spec. One to hold and one to torque. I will check to see if I can find the part number for the universal tool this week.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Re: 30nm now 70nm

Hilton said:
The strap wrench works well. Bit late after you have it apart, but if you mark the ring nut and tank first, then tighten back to the same mark, seems to work OK. May have missed the latest update, but I seem to recall the torque value went up from 30 Nm to 70 Nm. Huge increase with no change in hardware or fittings. Lube is also a good idea. Cheers
Agree with Hiltons specs of 70nm. I was able to get to 60nm then the pump assembly started to rotate, I stoped at 60nm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts