BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately on my 2006 k1200lt, when stopped at a light the engine kill but, start right back up. I also, noticed when I go to refuel, as I crack the gas cap the tank vent with a heavy hissing sound. Could this be a fuel vent problem?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Lately on my 2006 k1200lt, when stopped at a light the engine kill but, start right back up. I also, noticed when I go to refuel, as I crack the gas cap the tank vent with a heavy hissing sound. Could this be a fuel vent problem?
Sounds like a plugged charcoal canister. Look up canisterectomy.

Robert

·
Registered
399 Posts
You need to remove the charcoal canister ASAP - if it is clogged the tank will pull a vacuum as the gas is drawn down, collapsing the plastic tank and damaging the level sending tube.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
For a quick fix, check the drain tube underneath the right side case. Many times it is just an insect nest in the end of it and just takes a few seconds to clear it out. Just leave your cap loose until you get it fixed, but understand that doing so is a fuel leak hazard.

·
Registered
832 Posts
That happened to me on a m/c vacation in Ohio. My mechanic advised to finish trip with a slightly loose gas cap. Had no troubles for the rest of the trip.
Since then, I have had canister removal surgery.

·
Registered
214 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
I had the same problem on my trip to CCR this year. Turned out, I had tightened down the Tupperware on the vent line from the tank to the canister - same symptoms - hissing when taking the cap off to refuel. I thought the problem was the canister, so I tied off both lines (from tank to canister and from canister to fuel rail) and ended up with a bent fuel level sending unit tube from the tank collapsing. The temp fix was to leave the cap loose until I finally got home where I discovered the real problem…. :bmw:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts