BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer is thinking about offering a fuel system flush as a service to customers as a result of all the ethanol fuel problems some customers seem to be having. I think that people who ride frequently do not have as many or no problems (other than lower gas mileage) with the ethanol fuel, its the riders who ride occassionally and the fuel deteriorates in the tank and leaves deposits on the injectors and such that have the problems.

They asked me what I thought of it as a service and I told them I don't have any fuel related issues so I would not be interested. However, I suppose some people could use this service. What is the collective thought about this service from this forum?

Ultra LT

·
Premium Member
4,878 Posts
Just a SWAG but maybe a little fuel stabilizer from time to time, especially if you don't ride more often than occasionally would help. A buddy who has a boat up north starts putting it in his tanks in the fall and has had great results. I'm on my bike several times a week and seem to go through several tanks of gas each month.

Maybe a good indicator is your battery tender.... Add stabilizer if the bike is on the charger!

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
I agree with the posts above.

Sounds to me like the Dealer wants another reason to empty one's pockets.

I do add a bit of cleaner at spring and fall months.

I myself ride most everyday and have had no problems other then the afore mentioned lower MPG, IE 44 seems to be my norm and I do get on it hard often. I love that get-up and go to the red line in the first couple gears. YeeHaa.

If I had a hotter/lighter bike , I'd probably be in a tree somewhere. LOL

That sitting in the garage on a tender just isn't my idea of owning a bike.

I'll soon be taking a pic of the speedo with 100,000 miles on it. 99,422 on it today!

Vern :bmw:

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
If you've got money to let the dealer do a fuel system flush,
you might as well have him change the air in your tires,
while your bike is in their shop,
I've heard they last longer that way!

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Bugman37 said:
Anyone use any kind of injector cleaner? And if so, which kind?

Charles

Charles,
I don't think the brand makes much difference as long as you use the proper amount in relation to the gallons of gas in the tank.

I buy the cheap stuff, Spring and Fall. It rids the system of moisture and does a little cleaning too. :bmw:
Vern

·
Registered
530 Posts
+1 on the Sea Foam

I use it regularly in every vehicle and marine Sta-Bil in my boat to keep things clean!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate the candor on this forum. LOL. I should have known most here are regular riders, that is you ride on a regular basis. Therefore, no fuel problems. However, there must be a significant number of owners who do not ride their bikes as often as we do and they apparently have issues with the stuff we call gasoline in the USA when their bikes sit for a couple of weeks between rides. I feel for them. Maybe the dealer would better serve their customers if they offered a "we will exercise your bike once a week service". :histerica Thanks for the input.

Ultra LT

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
SilverBuffalo said:
If you've got money to let the dealer do a fuel system flush,
you might as well have him change the air in your tires,
while your bike is in their shop,
I've heard they last longer that way!
+1.

I believe they are looking to "flush" your wallet. ;)

FWIW I toss in a couple of ounces of Techron (half price at Costco) every year and run it with a full tank right before an oil change on all my vehicles. I have never had ANY fuel system problems except for the occasional plugged fuel filter.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
UltraLT said:
Maybe the dealer would better serve their customers if they offered a "we will exercise your bike once a week service".
Kinda like how rich people have somebody "walk" their dog for them?

Some entrepreneur somewhere has already thought of that and has started a business doing just that,
I heard he wasn't making any money here,
but now he's doing quite well over on the HD forums. :)

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
I once knew a guy that owned a little automotive tune-up business. He started selling preventative fuel injector flushes. With a snicker he said this to me, "Easiest 80 bucks I ever made". I don't think he realized what he was really telling me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts