BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new to me 2005 r1200rt in January and the only problem was the fuel gauge didn't work. After doing some research it didn't take me long to find out what the problem was by looking at the BMW forms. The problem was the fuel strip needed to be replaced. I didn't have the cash right now for a new fuel strip so I decided to fix it later.

Last week a good friend who's rt I had been working on showed up with a new fuel strip to say thanks for all of the work I had done on his bike. I know that new fuel strips are suppose to be calibrated before instillation, but I just didn't want to spend the money and I like to do my own work, so I went ahead and installed it.

I have found the gauge works perfectly but the computer calculation was wrong for residual range. Now that I have gone through a few tanks of gas I find the computer has adjusted and my residual range is right on the money.

I hope this can be of some help for some people. The fuel strip is $132 American and I think it was $232 Canadian. If you don't have to pay for the instillation and calibration it can save you some money.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Thank you , this is a great help to many. Feedback on issues is as important as the question. :)

·
Registered
726 Posts
That is good news! When my fuel strip went bad, I was told that it was $325.00 (ouch) and if it was out of warranty it would cost 1 hour labor. So you just installed it and went through a few tanks of fuel and the computer synced itself? If that is the case you have saved a lot of $ for a hole bunch of owners.... :bmw:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Just had the second fuel strip fail while I was riding a SS2000. Repaired under warranty, no fuss, no muss. That makes two repairs that the extended warranty picked up. Thanks Homer (original salesman at BMW of Fresno) I'm GLAD I followed your sage advice a bought the Extended Warranty when I did. (oops, did not mean to launch a Thread Hi-Jack!)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wheelsca,
I have a 2008 RT, and the fuel guage quit today, with the yellow warning light flashing,(full tank of gas).
Can you explain how to replace the fuel strip, or at least where it is located. Is it accessible by pulling out the fuel pump, or what is involved. One post I read said to remove the tank, then the pump, then the filler. I am confused how to get to it to replace it.
Any help is appreciated.

Hrvy 53

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm presuming you have a shop manual to help you along with this operation, follow it step by step.

The fuel tank doesn't have to be removed from the bike, but the fuel level must be quite low. Remove the fuel pump from the tank and you will find a four wire plug on the bottom side of the fuel pump. Disconnect this plug. Remove the fuel filler and the fuel sensor will come out at the same time. Install new fuel strip and fuel filler. I found I had to us a wire with a hook on it to grab the wire in the tank that connects to the bottom of the fuel pump. Connect the wire to the bottom of the fuel pump, then install the pump.

We all have different mechanical abilities. I would say this job requires intermediate abilities. If you are a beginner this job my be over your head. Be very careful working around fuel you don't want to burn your house down.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Wheelsca said:
I'm presuming you have a shop manual to help you along with this operation, follow it step by step.

The fuel tank doesn't have to be removed from the bike, but the fuel level must be quite low. Remove the fuel pump from the tank and you will find a four wire plug on the bottom side of the fuel pump. Disconnect this plug. Remove the fuel filler and the fuel sensor will come out at the same time. Install new fuel strip and fuel filler. I found I had to us a wire with a hook on it to grab the wire in the tank that connects to the bottom of the fuel pump. Connect the wire to the bottom of the fuel pump, then install the pump.

We all have different mechanical abilities. I would say this job requires intermediate abilities. If you are a beginner this job my be over your head. Be very careful working around fuel you don't want to burn your house down.

I hope this helps.
Good advice, even if you are just a beginner taking your time and after the left side tupper were is off the job is quite straight forward. U-TUBE videos are very helpful.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just wanted to give an update.

The new fuel strip worked beautifully for about one month. I went to ride the bike yesterday and the reading was correct at 1/2 a tank. I put my helmet on and got on the bike and the fuel gauge was reading full tank. Turned the bike off and restarted and now read empty all of the time :mad:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts