BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CW motorcycles replaced the fuel strip before COVID lockdown. I did ask them to use a float version instead of the strip but they said it wasn’t correct for the 2011 RT. I reluctantly agreed but after less than 1000 miles done since then I notice the reading is showing empty when it’s full. It can only be the fuel strip. I emailed CW but no reply. As they are no longer BMW dealers what do others suggest I do?

Reactions: Geoff c

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
There is someone in the Netherlands who has come up with a float change. Some detective work on the web should turn him up.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Haven't accomplished this myself but I'm expecting my Fuel Strip to crap-out at anytime.
This may be the address you need: BP BMW bike electronics
I also watched this to get an idea of the complexity involved, (long video):

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is someone in the Netherlands who has come up with a float change. Some detective work on the web should turn him up.
I paid for the replacement - no BMW kindness in the UK. I asked CW Motorcycles to replace the fuel strip with the float mechanism. When I returned to pick it up I asked if they had done what I asked and they said it’s not a recommended part for my year/machine. Spitting blood at this stage since it was on my dollar. Now I need to find a dealer willing do do what I asked.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
In my case, after the seventh replacement by BMW, they ended the extended support for the fuel strip for my 07RT. The last one went south at under 400 miles - 200 of which were from my house to the dealer.

Talking with the service director [then - now gone] he got with sales and they offered me a screaming deal on a 15RT for a fast, cash only sale. Took it for a 350 mile long test ride and never looked back. Just returned from Provo on it and had a blast.

Still own the 07 but it appears to have been confiscated by my boy - at least it's in his garage with just over 150k. When he has time off, we hit the road and just chill. Last ride was just over 1000 miles playing in the mountains for two days. Watching mileage like we need to now is a pain in the butt, however the bike is otherwise flawless.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts