BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reinstalled the peg lowering kit for spring (dips my tootsies down in the breeze).

While down there, I noticed a gas smell. There was no pressure in the gas tank. Would I be smelling the charcoal cannister, or do you suppose I'll be replacing the fuel disconnects in the next couple weeks when I do the 36k mile service?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,919 Posts
It is possible you have an o-ring going but I also smell it bit from time to time and I have the good brass disconnects and change out the o-rings at each 24K service.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Sounds (smells) like you have a leaking plastic QD. I'd advise you to have something ready to replace the unit with, as, if like my experience, my plastic original QD broke as I disconnected it. I had the brass CPC items from Beemrboneyard ready to install along with a new fuel filter. They give you 2 spare Viton O rings when you buy a set of 2 QD's.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll have tubing and hoseclamps at the ready...I am no stranger to fluid containment issues in the garage. (like the time I filled the jack-bridge with tranny fluid)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just replaced my quick disconnects (under the right side of the fuel tank). www.omega.com, PNs FT-LCD170-05 and FT-LCD220-05, two each. The new ones are chrome plated brass. A few years ago they were $64, now over $100, but the plastic ones are junk and will break if you look at them wrong. You will also need a pack of Oetiker clamps, #157R. McMaster Carr sells them. Might as well change the fuel and air filters while you are there but you have to figure out your own part numbers there :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm -500 miles away from the 36k service (got a seal in a vette I've gotta fix first.) but addressing the fuel lines are on that list.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts