BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen numerous posts about damage to the fuel sending unit from pump nozzles. Here in Kansas the nozzles have a large spring assembly on them which prevents it from entering the tank more than a couple of inches. I can't imagine someone here being able to get close to the sending unit tube. So you guys that have experienced problems, are the nozzles missing the spring assembly or is something different with the vapor recovery nozzles which we don't have here (yet)? Just wondering what causes the dents.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,907 Posts
Just traveling across country you will find nozzles that have those silly vapor boots and some that you can stick 5 inches into the tank. You just have to be careful. Most units are buckled by clogged canisters collapsing the fuel tank.

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
It's usually out in the rural areas that you can still find nozzles without vapor recovery (that's were I tend to ride most). My kinked sending unit problem was inherited from the PO. I pressed out the kinks and disconnected the canister hoses. There were many ding marks on the sending unit, so that's why I believe the kinks were from a gas nozzle.

Jer

·
Registered
18 Posts
The fuel level sending unit is aft of the fueling hole. If you fuel the bike with the hose coming from the side of the bike you will never have a problem. If you like to sit on the seat while you gas up, you will need to remove the tupperware then the fuel level sender ,disasemble the sender and push a 1 1/4 socket through the tube to remove the dent.
Your choice, getoff the bike and fuel it right, or sit onyour butt and fix it later. :dance:

·
Registered
509 Posts
dminor said:
....getoff the bike and fuel it right, or sit on your butt and fix it later.
Or, just don't stick it in so far. :rotf:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts