BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share pictures of the fuel sending unit after having it crushed due to fuel in the canister. Taking the tupperware off was straight forward as everyone has said, and getting to the unit was straight forward. Unfortunately I couldn't straighten it out, will have to purchase one.

Thanks for the help about diagnosing the problem

Adam

Attachments

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Open the one end and run a socket with an extension down it getting progressivley bigger and you can straighten it..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so take that bolt off on the end with the screw? the remove that end?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
jetfumes said:
so take that bolt off on the end with the screw? the remove that end?
yes
and then just run a socket down and carefully take the bend out.You will know you are good when the float runs up and down without binding

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Someone else took a metal straight edge the width of which is smaller than the ID of the tube and stuck it in a vice and worked the dent out from the inside by putting the tub over it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Can someone tell me exactly how this happen please.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
This can happen by either letting the fuel nozzle hit the sending unit while filling up and the end of the nozzle bends the unit by pushing against it or as probably more frequently happens, the charcoal canister gets clogged creating a vacuum in the tank and collapsing the tank against the sending unit, hence the canisterectomy procedure most people do on their bikes.

Colyn hoe gaan dit daar no? ek het in S.A. gevoon in die 1980's in Durban en Johannesburg
hoop dit gaan goed.

Colyn said:
Can someone tell me exactly how this happen please.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Thanks Sheldan2.

Dit gaan goed hier ... die weer is lekker en die langpad roep :)

Ons sukkel maar met die dienste lewering maar nouja dit het ons almal verwag.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
mwnahas said:
Someone else took a metal straight edge the width of which is smaller than the ID of the tube and stuck it in a vice and worked the dent out from the inside by putting the tub over it.

Mine looked about like yours does before I straightened it out.
HTH,
Jer

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
jetfumes said:
Just wanted to share pictures of the fuel sending unit after having it crushed due to fuel in the canister. Taking the tupperware off was straight forward as everyone has said, and getting to the unit was straight forward. Unfortunately I couldn't straighten it out, will have to purchase one.

Thanks for the help about diagnosing the problem

Adam
Adam If you feel more comfortable buying one then
CLICK HERE

·
Registered
418 Posts
sheldan2 said:
This can happen by either letting the fuel nozzle hit the sending unit while filling up and the end of the nozzle bends the unit by pushing against it or as probably more frequently happens, the charcoal canister gets clogged creating a vacuum in the tank and collapsing the tank against the sending unit, hence the canisterectomy procedure most people do on their bikes..
Happened to my 2001 LT.
The implosion on my sending unit was much more severe through the length of the tube.
Fortunately, it was replaced under warranty.
And it was nice enough to quit as I backed into my parking space at my apartment.
Rode down and spent the day at Myrtle Beach, then drove back home.
It started sputtering and running rough as I backed in to my space, then just died and couldn't get it started, again.
They replaced the charcoal canister and added the overflow drain tube.
Haven't had a problem since, but also don't overfill when refueling.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I did a bi-lateral canister bypass and can now fill tank with reckless abandon. I don't overflow the tank but I fill it as full as I want to and no dying, flattened tanks, or squished sending units.

Nice!

·
Registered
552 Posts
I also remember someone saying they used a broom handle and rolled it on the ground to round it out.

·
Registered
210 Posts
broom handles work great. My vac hose got pinched under the seat and caused my collapse

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great info as usual, I was was able to take the dent out. I used a large screwdriver handle inserted into tube. The hardest part was removing small screw on end.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts