BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear there was a recall on the quick disconnects for my bike (an '02), so I wanted to take a pre-emptive strike and replace mine before they fail.

Since aftermarket ones are fairly pricey, I thought I'd look at OEM.

My question is; since the part was recalled, can I safely assume that these OEM parts have been re-designed or upgaded?...and are no longer at risk of cracking, etc. I know about replacing o-rings from time to time...just windering if the currently listed part numbers have been re-designed/upgraded?

Here's the part number I found. Price are from Chicago BMW in case you're windering.
133 176 591 20 – Fuel Line Quick Disconnect – Female $12.80
133 176 591 19 – Fuel Line Quick Disconnect – Male $10.40
133 176 591 10 – Fuel Line Quick Disconnect O-Ring $1.60 (Note – can substitute for Buna-N o-ring size 011, available through McMaster-Carr)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Here is a link to the recall notice. This is actually in the Recall area on our home page.

It states pretty clearly that the issue was an o-ring problem and possibly a clamp issue.

It doesn't sound like they reengineered the QTs. When I change mine, I'm going to go with metal replacement QTs.

·
Slow Old Guy
2,012 Posts
I just pulled the tank on my '02 GS. I would imagine they are the same quick disconnects. One of them broke, so I took it into the local dealer to get a couple of new sets. The old ones were white, the new ones black. I asked the guy at the counter what the difference was and he said the old white ones tended to get brittle and break. The black ones were the "new and improved model". So, looks like there has been a change.

The part numbers you posted are the same as the ones on my receipt. Better price though. I paid $13 and $16. And two bucks for the O rings.

·
IBR# 366
16,533 Posts
I've been using the metal ones (chrome-plated brass) for >10 years on some machine tools. Never had a problem unless you nick an o-ring.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,157 Posts
grifscoots said:
The chrome makes the machine tool go faster.
Aren't the chrome ones designed for Harleys??? :D

·
IBR# 366
16,533 Posts

·
Registered
13,451 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah sure, 80 bucks is better than getting stranded...or worse, having your bike go up in flames.

I'm just wondering if we might get off cheaper by just installing an in-line valve with standard hose clamps (the non-worm gear type so the hose doesn't get damaged). Then, just loosen the downstream side of the hose clamp, and pull the tank.

I suppose if you're pulling your tank with some regularity, perhaps $80 in Quick Disconects are worth it. But if you only pull the tank once in a while, wouldn't an inline valve suffice? Maybe I'm missing something....which is very likely since I'm still a young grasshopper in the LT world. Do both sides remain pressurized or something?...is that why we need these QD's?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Clarification on "O" Ring Material

I'm about to order the two way shutoff metal Quick Disconnects and saw your post.
Are you saying that the BMW factory replacement O-Ring can be substituted for the buna-N O-rings (that are not recommended for fuel) that come on the Aftermarket Quick Disconnects? If so thats great! I was just about to do the fuel filter and the dealer said they change the O-Rings every time; so I bought two. I just want to verify everything before I do this especially since I have not had A fuel leak so far with 35k mi. on my 2001.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
RickyK12 said:
I'm about to order the two way shutoff metal Quick Disconnects and saw your post.
Are you saying that the BMW factory replacement O-Ring can be substituted for the buna-N O-rings (that are not recommended for fuel) that come on the Aftermarket Quick Disconnects? If so thats great! I was just about to do the fuel filter and the dealer said they change the O-Rings every time; so I bought two. I just want to verify everything before I do this especially since I have not had A fuel leak so far with 35k mi. on my 2001.
Buna N is perfectly acceptable for gasoline - in fact it is the industry standard. You can upgrade to Viton, but there is no advantage unless you are connecting/disconnecting every day or exposing them to extreme heat.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts