BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced the fuel filter in the 05 LT that I'm rebuilding. Bike was sitting 5 years with fuel in the tank. Anyone need some varnish for your wood work ?
Fuel pump/fuel filter ladder has varnish spots on it. Fuel pump will not spin when 12 volts is appiled to term. post. Sending injectors out to be cleaned,,, any thoughts on how I can save the fuel pump ? I figure the old gas has turned to glue inside the pump.

Thanks guys

KC

·
Registered
349 Posts
The best thing I've found for dissolving gummy petroleum residue is biodiesel (watch it, it also removes paint and softens certain types of rubber). Second-best is plain vegetable oil. Third is kerosene or diesel fuel.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have an extra fuel pump if needed.

While doing an annual service last year I "musculeF****ed" the fuel filter clamp and broke one of the pump's hose nipples. I've done a superglue and gas resistant repair and the pump works and holds pressure with no leaks.

It may last 5 miles or 5000, that I don't know.

You're welcome to it if you need it. I didn't re-install it because I was preparing to ride crosscountry to the Redmond rally.

Bill

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys are great. This is one helpful site.
I was a member on a RV site, and the main object there was to run people down and throw stones and to prove their own selfworth. Man... I hated asking a question or looking to them for help.
You guys are the best....... let's fix the problem ,, not the blame.

Thanks

KC

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,925 Posts
kclineman10 said:
I was a member on a RV site, and the main object there was to run people down and throw stones and to prove their own selfworth.
OK if you want to feel at home then: You should not have left the darn thing sit so long!!!:p

I hope you find a way to "unclog" it. There is a wealth of experiances on this site and everyone is eager to help out. Welcome.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
You have to be REALLY CAREFUL with carb cleaner. It will swell and destroy anything made of rubber. Seals etc. What about plain old petroleum solvent as in parts cleaner? Just make sure the one you buy is safe for rubber components.

Loren

·
Registered
4,257 Posts

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Would Seafoam work as a cleaner in this case?
Even though this is a 5 year old thread, I suspect the construction of the pump and not being able to disassemble or adequately force a cleaner through it without the pump turning that anything would be of much use. 5 years is a long time to sit with old gas.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts