BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2007 K1200LT

On a long trip during rain I found the rear vent line from the charcoal canister had water. It was causing a vacuum in the fuel tank (whoosh when opening the cover) and the fuel pump to whine ... clearing the line fixed the problem.

Two months later same thing, but canister was waterlogged, blowing in the vent line produced a lot of water coming back out. I did the canisterectomy described on these forums, bringing the tank line down to the right swing arm and plugging the other line with a bolt. Noise went away and all was fine.

After about 500 miles with no canister (and no rain), the fuel pump whine came back, louder than before. There is no vacuum when I open the gas cover, and opening the cover definitely verifies it's the fuel pump, cause the whine noise coming out of the gas tank is LOUD ... sounds like I'm at the dentist office. *edit* my service manager said a plugged vacuum can cause the noise, but other than that he's never heard of an LT fuel pump going bad.

I welcome any ideas on what it is or what I should do next.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
My fuel pump went bad while I was changing the filter in the tank. The pump has a plastic impeller on the bottom of the pump. One of the little fins broke off the impeller and when I turned the tank upside down to get the sending unit out, it went up into the pump and jammed it. I replaced the pump and took it apart and found it. It was in an 05 and it only had 15K on it. The gears in the actual pump are metal. It was the same gears I see all the time in transmission pumps except on a smaller scale.......... :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My only theory is perhaps when I was blowing on the vent line I forced some water into the tank... anyone think water could get trapped in the filter in a way that would make the pump draw harder?

Going on that possibility I put some heet in the tank last night and drive 100 miles. Still noise. Bike sat overnight, on cold start this morning there was no noise for about 5 minutes of warmup, then it came back. I'm going to try more heet and running a full tank through it today.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
haunaben said:
My only theory is perhaps when I was blowing on the vent line I forced some water into the tank... anyone think water could get trapped in the filter in a way that would make the pump draw harder?

Going on that possibility I put some heet in the tank last night and drive 100 miles. Still noise. Bike sat overnight, on cold start this morning there was no noise for about 5 minutes of warmup, then it came back. I'm going to try more heet and running a full tank through it today.
check for a clogged fuel filter and related hoses.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SmokinJoe said:
check for a clogged fuel filter and related hoses.
Yeah ... I think this is it. I drove it for 200 miles, consistent whine the whole trip. When I got home and the fuel was low, I checked the tank with a flashlight ... could see a lot of sediment in the bottom of tank. Guess I know what I'm doing next weekend )

·
Registered
176 Posts
My fuel pump died with only 127,000 miles on it.
It made no noise and gave me no warning....just died.
Found a replacement online with a lifetime warranty
and free shipping for $69. BMW wants $328 and $47
extra for the strainer.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
jkriner said:
My fuel pump died with only 127,000 miles on it.
It made no noise and gave me no warning....just died.
Found a replacement online with a lifetime warranty
and free shipping for $69. BMW wants $328 and $47
extra for the strainer.
Jesse, just for fun could you give us the supplier and part number? I only have 113,000 miles to go to match your pump but mine is 12 years old so you never know.

Thanks, Robert.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,259 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Nice looking pump. If that's like car and truck pumps rated for E-85 it's got stainless components. Should outlast the OE by a considerable amount.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Jesse!

For $69 this might fall into the "while I'm in there" category. Yes, it could very well just be a clogged filter or line ... but it would suck to go through the effort of changing filter and checking the lines to have the pump still whine at me after I put it back together.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally got around to fixing this problem this spring. Thought I'd update the post with the results in case anyone finds this thread in a search.

I pulled the gas tank and there was a lot of sand and dirt in it from when I blew the canister line out when clogged last year. The screen on the bottom of the pump was also clogged with dirt, and it had a hole in one corner (allowing more dirt/sand through the pump into the filter).

I rinsed the tank with gas until all dirt gone, replaced the pump screen and the filter. No more whine, running great.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
This is where I use the same line I use at the massage parlor: I like a happy ending! :histerica
Glad you solved your issue!;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts