Votes: 26 55.3%
  • Fixed, but don't know how

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Mine was replaced by New Century BMW in Alhambra, CA. Service guy told me they were just replacing them, no clamp repairs.

I saw the invoice for the recall it was $469.00 back to BMW.

My'06 cracked pump was replaced under third party extended warranty 2 years ago. They should all be replaced by BMW whether cracked yet or not. Bad design and/or materials and they know it.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Had an appointment this morning for 10:00. Service manager told me that if the assembly needed to be replace they would have to order the parts and ask if I could leave the bike if that turned out to be the case. I said no, I'll take the bike home and take my chances. Seemed a little reluctant and hesitated but finally said OK. Turned out it only needed the reinforcing ring and was completed in about 2 hours.
I called GoAZ to see if my recently purchased '08 had any outstanding recalls. It did, the fuel pump flange, but the service guy checked that the parts were in stock, and when they weren't, ordered them. I scheduled a repair for the next time I'm in Phoenix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Old thread...not sure if it is still checked on. I pulled in for gas last week (2010 RT) and fuel was a steady stream down the front of the bike. Took the faring off to determine the cause and found with the pump engaged that fuel was spurting out from that flange. I disconnected it easily (too easily) and thought it was just a loose connection. I buttoned it back up and didn't have an issue on a test ride. Same issue re-occurred today. I did some online searching and came across this issue and I'm sure this is the cause.

I'm shocked that it hasn't been addressed in one of my MANY services at the dealerships including fuel level sensor replacements (twice)...

I'm hoping to drop it off and get immediate attention tomorrow (good luck right!?!?!). Certainly not riding the bike until it is resolved...I'm not looking to audition for Ghost Rider!

Will let you know how it goes years after the noise has died down...if anyone cares.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Does it have the metal ring around the bung for the quick disconnect?

·
Registered
2009 R1200RT Low
5 Posts
Does it have the metal ring around the bung for the quick disconnect?
My 09 RT with 31K starting leaking yesterday. After reading way too many posts, I pulled the skins expecting to find the cracked fitting on the top of the fuel pump. Instead, I found the upgraded fitting with the metal ring!

Unfortunately it appears that my leak (a dribble) is coming from the female coupling near the metal ring.

Has anybody run in to this? I see Beemer Boneyard sells an all metal kit, but I am worried that this "upgraded" bung is glued in there. Any advice?

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
My 09 RT with 31K starting leaking yesterday. After reading way too many posts, I pulled the skins expecting to find the cracked fitting on the top of the fuel pump. Instead, I found the upgraded fitting with the metal ring!

Unfortunately it appears that my leak (a dribble) is coming from the female coupling near the metal ring.

Has anybody run in to this? I see Beemer Boneyard sells an all metal kit, but I am worried that this "upgraded" bung is glued in there. Any advice?
Mine did that 2 years after they did the ring repair. The dope on the ring failed. No cracks. I had called and emailed the dealer about it and they ignored me basically so I fixed it myself. I replaced the female bung with a metal one from Beemer Bone Yard and it's been fine. Just go easy installing the metal female bung.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
My 2012 was not on the recall but it failed exactly where the others did. Cracked flange under the ring and fuel seeping out from the top and eventually dripping over the side. $400 for a new pump and seal. I replaced it myself.

·
Registered
2009 R1200RT Low
5 Posts
Mine did that 2 years after they did the ring repair. The dope on the ring failed. No cracks. I had called and emailed the dealer about it and they ignored me basically so I fixed it myself. I replaced the female bung with a metal one from Beemer Bone Yard and it's been fine. Just go easy installing the metal female bung.
Thanks for the quick response gents. I got a new o-ring from BMW this morning, and tried that, but it now squirts straight up from under the release tab. So I am going to do the Beemer Bone Yard metal replacement.
  • Did you do just the leaking one, or go with the kit to replace all? I just see the kit.
  • Did you remove the pump, or replace it while on the bike?
  • Was there any problem with sealant from the old bung falling into the pump?
  • If you removed the pump, how did you remove the metal ring that holds the pump in?
Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Thanks for the quick response gents. I got a new o-ring from BMW this morning, and tried that, but it now squirts straight up from under the release tab. So I am going to do the Beemer Bone Yard metal replacement.
  • Did you do just the leaking one, or go with the kit to replace all? I just see the kit.
  • Did you remove the pump, or replace it while on the bike?
  • Was there any problem with sealant from the old bung falling into the pump?
  • If you removed the pump, how did you remove the metal ring that holds the pump in?
Thanks a bunch.
Got your PM and answered some of your questions there. I left the metal ring on. It wasn't necessary to remove it to replace the bung. I didn't remove the pump. It's an easy fix really. Just don't over tighten the bung. Read the instructions. I ended up no going as tight as BBY specified for fear of cracking the flange.

·
Registered
2009 R1200RT Low
5 Posts
So the big day is here. PO says the metal quick disconnect is arriving today - better start cleaning the sealant off. I poke a rag down the pipe and start cleaning (pick, small brush, and vacuum to catch pieces). As I get it cleaned up, I start to see cracks in the rim. Four of them! Can't be - this has the official BMW upgraded pump with ring installed.

Oh yes, the ring..... I find it spins easily around the flange, and lifts right off with fingernails.

Buy a new pump or get the clamp ring from Beemer Boneyard? Called them up, and the guy was very familiar. Said the "upgrade" is known to fail too. :oops:

So in for a penny, in for a pound.... I have the clamp-on collar on order, and will be anchoring it all together with JB Weld, and will keep you posted.
cracks.jpeg
ring off.jpeg

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
You may want to ask BMW and see what they say. Beyond that, you have two choices: Replace the fuel pump assembly or use an epoxy like jb weld and glue the bung into the flange. You'd have to research the latter to see how it worked for people, but it has been done. I think a new fuel pump is 4-500. Maybe BMW will cough up, but I have my doubts.

Reactions: PadG

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
You may want to ask BMW and see what they say. Beyond that, you have two choices: Replace the fuel pump assembly or use an epoxy like jb weld and glue the bung into the flange. You'd have to research the latter to see how it worked for people, but it has been done. I think a new fuel pump is 4-500. Maybe BMW will cough up, but I have my doubts.
Don't use JB Weld. I applied JB Weld on my fitting over the metal ring and housing. I applied three layers and overlapped each one and allowed each layer to dry for at least 48 hours before applying the next layer. It held for about 4 months and started leaking again. I used the regular JB Weld not the quik weld. My opinion is over a short time the ethanol in the fuel eats away at the JB Weld. A new pump is about $400.
Fuel Pump Assembly - BMW R900RT, R1200RT; 16 14 7 724 843 / BMW

I replaced it and a new retaining ring seal for good measure. My fitting was cracked, yours looks like it snapped off.

·
Registered
2009 R1200RT Low
5 Posts
Flash update

Just for grins I called the local dealer, and got the service manager. Told him my tale of woe. He said "I think I can get a pump for you. Let me check with BMW". I sent him the above pics, and he called back soon after, asking for mileage. Stay tuned for updates.

·
Premium Member
4,973 Posts
Flash update

Just for grins I called the local dealer, and got the service manager. Told him my tale of woe. He said "I think I can get a pump for you. Let me check with BMW". I sent him the above pics, and he called back soon after, asking for mileage. Stay tuned for updates.
Sounds like he will take care of you, as he should! Many people have had similar issues, after that recalled work had been done, and BMW had replaced the fuel pump for them.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts