Votes: 26 55.3%
  • Fixed, but don't know how

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Had an appointment this morning for 10:00. Service manager told me that if the assembly needed to be replace they would have to order the parts and ask if I could leave the bike if that turned out to be the case. I said no, I'll take the bike home and take my chances. Seemed a little reluctant and hesitated but finally said OK. Turned out it only needed the reinforcing ring and was completed in about 2 hours.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Re: Fuel pump recall -and the Grand Canyon

I brought my 07 RT to the dealer 10 days ago, they put on a reinforcing ring.
The next day I could smell some gasoline in the garage, not a very strong smell, but it was there. Called the dealer and they said it would clear up. Rode it, washed it, and still could smell it this morning. I called the dealer, they are going to check it out next Tuesday.

3 recalls, 5 trips to the dealer. This is getting old. :cool:
I went back to the dealer and the tech pulled the plastic off, made sure everything was tight, and took it for a test ride. He said everything checked out.
I can't say, for sure, everything he did, but there was no gasoline smell in the garage this morning. I was in and out in about an hour, they brought the bike right in when I got there, good service. The last recall I hope.

At the end of this month, the Grand Canyon by way of old Route 66, I will pick it up south of Chicago. Starting with a set of new Continental tires, pulling my Unigo. We will make it to some of the National Parks in Utah too.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Had an appointment this morning for 10:00. Service manager told me that if the assembly needed to be replace they would have to order the parts and ask if I could leave the bike if that turned out to be the case. I said no, I'll take the bike home and take my chances. Seemed a little reluctant and hesitated but finally said OK. Turned out it only needed the reinforcing ring and was completed in about 2 hours.
Same story for me

·
Registered
51 Posts
So, mine was done today. Repaired, not replaced. I was in and out of the dealer in about an hour. I wonder if all the repaired ones will need to be replaced at some point in the future?

·
Registered
48 Posts
A few years ago I fitted a closely machined aluminum ring to the flange which is JB welded in place. Works just fine, so no point bringing it to the dealer. What happens if the bike is at the dealers for something else, what would they do, leave it, try to change it, replace the pump assembly?
Ed

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Had mine done yesterday - replaced the fuel pump. It had cracked last year and I fixed it with the BBY ring and JBWeld. When I called to make the appointment they accepted my explanation and had a new pump on hand for me, no question. They told me that my repair apparently hadn't held and they found leakage, which was interesting because I was in there last weekend and didn't see any. The tech charged 0.7 hr to the job - pretty quick.

BMWED - I think there's value in having the recall work done even if yours is reinforced. When you go to sell you want to be able to assure the new buyer that you've had all recall service performed.

JayJay

·
Registered
211 Posts
Damn. I stay off board for a few months and now I learn there is a recall on the fuel pump of my 2009 RT? BMW has sent me NOTHING! Did you all get a recall notice? Guess I will call dealership tomorrow. Bummer
How long a wait should I expect to get an appointment? Guess I need to stay more in touch here.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Well personally I think some folks are getting screwed by BMW. According to my bulletin, any leak is an automatic replacement. small cracks in flange that extend to the bottom of the flange warrant replacement, as does exceeding the measurement.
Now here is why I think folks are being screwed, if no leak but cracks in the flange and within measurements, you get a band aide. They put a flange over a cracked fuel component? Really that is the fix???
I'm telling them flat out that my bike is under warranty, so if a crack is present they are replacing, not band aiding. We'll see how that goes over.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,592 Posts
BMW has sent me NOTHING! Did you all get a recall notice?
I still have not received my recall notice. When I input my VIN in the bmw website, it shows a recall. I will probably wait until I need a set of tires then have it done.

·
Registered
66 Posts
2011 RT - mine was "repaired" while it was in for its 18k service

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well, I have my appointment for this Wednesday for Fuel Pump recall on my 2009 RT. So far, I haven't noticed any odors, so I will let you know. I asked the service mgr. if they had to replace the fuel pump, do they have it in stock and his reply was that they won't create an appointment unless they have the fuel pump in stock in case it was needed. Hope this holds true...

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Had my 2010 RT bike in last week for the recall, I was told all I required was the reinforcing ring to be installed. I took a snap shoot and circled what I believe to be the ring they added - please confirm.
yup, that's the ring. Here's what it looks like on a full new flange.

JayJay

Attachments

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I'll let you guys know tomorrow how it goes for me. I had strong fuel smells a year ago after fill ups, but haven't smelled fuel lately. I'm going to press the test and tell them if there are cracks to replace it since the bike is under warranty yet. Broken is broken in my book.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just back from recall appointment. There were 3 other bikes being dropped off at the same time for recall work. Not sure if it was for the same issue. Service Mgr. said they had pumps on hand so they were ready to go either way.

I left the bike so I wasn't able to verify their findings but they said my '11 RT had signs of very minor superficial cracks so they installed the ring. They were busy this morning but still turned the bike around in about 1 hour. Very easy to work with.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Mine was replaced by New Century BMW in Alhambra, CA. Service guy told me they were just replacing them, no clamp repairs.

I saw the invoice for the recall it was $469.00 back to BMW.

Glad they at least took care of it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got a collar from the good folks at BBY and finally got around to checking mine yesterday. Everything looked fine so I snubbed on the collar and buttoned her back up. Very easy to check and (on mine) to fix.:toast:

Will be taking into my "local" dealer (125 miles away) for their blessing in the near future.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Took mine in for the recall, turns out the pump had already been replaced by the PO for reasons unknown, so no action taken.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts